We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Alcatraz

My friend is going to SF a month before me (August) and has already booked her tickets for Alcatraz online. I was going to wait until I got there and book it on the same day I was going to go. I figure I dont need to book in advance for September because everyone can fit on the island?

Do you think this will be okay to wait and book on the day or should I listen to my friends advice?

She booked tickets online for $16. Is it cheaper to book online or buy on the day?

Thank you

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz

Alcatraz is allways sold out for several weeks beforehand. It's not so much the number of people that can fit on the island but how many peoiple can fit on the boats that go there.

Aussie living in...
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz

So you would suggest buying tickets online a few weeks before ? Is that the case in December ?

CA
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz

same price online or at the pier as long as you are using the www.blueandgoldfleet.com website. They do not charge an extra fee.

In December you would probably be okay walking up. I would not want to go to Alcatraz in December though...brrr.

CA
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz

Oh, I see the person asking about Dec is a different person. If you are in SF in Dec then do go to Alcatraz...just bundle up.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz

Sept is still heavy tourist season. I suggest you buy in advance. You will not save $ by waiting. You just pick up your tix when you get here, at the "will call" window or self serve ticket machine. As to Dec, you might get away with walk up, unless it's around Christmas vacation. Lots of visitors during that time. Starting in late Sept, there will be a new ferry operator, so you can't book Dec until the change happens. For now use:

http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/

After late Sept:

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
253 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz

I arrived in S.F. 7/1 (with my prepurchased tickets in hand). Just in case, I asked if I could change the time of my tour and found out they were sold out through 7/5. I wouldn't take that chance - you don't want to miss out.

United States
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcatraz

get the tickets online or you might miss going with your friend.

it fills up.

take it from a sf native

Portstewart Ireland
Level Contributor
402 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcatraz

I've been reading posts in this forum that say there will be a new operator, Hornblower, being the only company going to Alcatraz from Sept onwards.

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcatraz

Hi, we tried Blue and Gold fleet for our visit on 10 September but they only have dates 1 month forward and it is for the island tour only. We ended up on www.allsanfranciscotours.com. They don't seem to do Alcatraz independently, but combine it with a trip round San Francisco which suits us fine. I have been invoiced for the coach trip with the Alcatriz section being deducted separately. Cannot vouch for this company, but the reviews looked good.

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
211 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcatraz

Our friend went 2 weeks before we did, I told him that the tours sell out (Something I learned on this forum..thanks to everyone here!) the same day and to book in advance. He went all the way to SF and took pictures of Alcatraz from the pier. Thats gotta bite.

I went ahead and booked. And a week in advance, they still had a few times left. I would book as early as possible for the times you want to go.