We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan Burger

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
Vegan Burger

Hi,

We are due to visit SF mid March from the UK, and on our first evening would like to find a decent bar that serves a good vegan burger and good beers to wash it down with. The only place that we have currently found that matches what we are after is Benders Bar & Grill in the Mission district, which looks great. But was wonder if there are any other places that we may of overlooked or is a better choice? We will be staying in at the Le Meridien in the financial district during our stay.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Si

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan Burger

Perhaps our veg TA contributors can help here because I have never ordered a vegan burger at a bar so I guess you do have one place . We have plenty of burger places which server vegan burgers but they are not bars and we have the plant cafe which has beer and wine and is Veg and Vegan on Pier 3 very close to your hotel or the burger bar on Union square is expensive but has burgers and beer but is a beer place and not a bar

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan Burger

The Source in San Francisco was just featured on the Food Network as a Vegan Restaurant, even using Vegan Cheese (no cow milk) for their "Burgers".

examiner.com/article/mystery-diners-question…

Might match your desire for a Vegan Burger, alas, no beer.

http://www.source-sf.com/

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan Burger

Hmm, their online menu does have a section called "Organic Beer and Wine".

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegan Burger

Oops, missed that.

sf
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegan Burger

This place is not the most accessible location, and wouldn't be a place to walk to at night. If going take a Taxi to and from the restaurant.

UK
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegan Burger

Hi,

thanks for getting back, if we do decide to go to Benders (probably via BART to 16th St Mission, and then walk) we were then planing on frequenting a few bars in the Mission district. However now a little concerned after reading SFNATIV post regarding the area, would this not be an advised choice or would basic streets smarts ensure our first evening in SF be fun?

Also if the latter is correct where would be the biggest concentration of bars to go to?

sf
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegan Burger

From 16th St BART is a long walk, and again not one I'd make at night. The area is a mix of industrial and businesses, with very little foot traffic at night. I wouldn't walk it myself at night, and I'm not the timid type.

There isn't very much around the restaurant at all, and its generally for only open during the day. Also the main bar scene in the Mission is closer to the BART station but in the opposite direction towards Valencia.

Taxis are cheap, and you'd have to call one anyway from the restaurant as you won't find one passing by its location, due its remote locale.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegan Burger

I think perhaps that SFNATIV's #7 reply didn't take into account your change of dining location to Bender's, which is at 19th and So. Van Ness. Certainly closer to the BART station but still a bit of a walk and still rather gritty. Although perhaps not as deserted.

The better scene is definitely on Guerrero and Valencia.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegan Burger

The Chieftain has a Garden Burger and lots of beer. It's about two blocks from the Powell BART station.

yelp.com/biz/the-chieftain-irish-pub-and-res…

There's a place right next to the Le Meridian called the Elephant & Castle that has a veggie burger. The menu says it has cheese on it, but I'm sure you can ask them to not include it.

yelp.com/biz/elephant-and-castle-san-francis…

Edited: 2:54 am, January 17, 2014
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegan Burger

Irish Times is another one right by the Le Meridian.

www.yelp.com/biz/irish-times-san-francisco-2

With all the hippies in San Francisco, there will be lots of places where you can get beer and a veggie burger.