We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

What a rip off. We live in SF, but needed a mini van to shuttle a bunch out of town guests around. We rented for one day, picked up at noon and returned at 12:40 the next day. For returning 40 minutes late we were charged an additional hour at $25.52 plus an additional day LDW insurance of $23. So our $150 one day rental ended up costing us $238.38. For one day. That's almost $10 per HOUR of car rental.

I could have paid for cab rides for everyone cheaper.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

I don't know what your beef is.

It's a 24 hour thing and you went over the time.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

I, too, do not get what you are griping about. You broke the contract and you had to pay the penalty. I would also charge you. Do you expect the next renter, who may be on a schedule, to suffer for your irresponsibility? Other than that, was the car nice and did you enjoy your day out in it? NO other problems?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

If you had been a couple of minutes late, then (in my opinion) maybe you'd something to complain about, but 40 minutes? Not even close.

Heck, the way I look at it only charging you an hour rather than a whole day seems rather fair to me.

hlo

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

As I see it, the first 3 posts do not understand that some people think it is okay to not adhere to a contract, and some go so far as to think they should not pay anything for breaking a contract. I am sorry to say that in my experience of dealing with the public, this type of thinking and behavior is becoming more and more prevalent in our society. :-(

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,860 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

Sometimes there is a grace period (usually up to one hour), but it is not a given, not guaranteed, and should have been indicated in your contract.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

For picking up and returning a rental in the city, City Car Rental is much better. They get good Yelp reviews and have better pricing: http://www.cityrentacar.com/

I agree with others, if you have a price for a 24 hour period and go over it, you should expect there to be some pricing consequences. While the amount seems high, it was completely within your control to prevent.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

I don't think we are trying to dogpile on you Dennis. But, you should sign what you read, and read what you sign. Consider this a $100 lesson.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

Some people just like to complain, especially first time posters. What ever happened to taking responsibility for our own actions? Chuck.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

Copper JillRabbit again . . . Sorry to chime in here again . . . but my hubby just shed light on this misfortune:

He says, But wait! Being 40 minutes late was not THEIR fault because they were probably caught in traffic!

And then he added these priceless words,

They should be compensated for suffering the inconvenience of dealing with all the other motorists who got in their way and slowed them down en route to turning in the van rental.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not rent from Dollar Car rental San Francisco

LOL, love it!

--

>> picked up at noon and returned at 12:40 the next day<<

Uh yes, that's over the 24 hours that was undoubtedly stated in your contract. Did you read the contract before signing it, Dennis S?

Another thought, when you knew you were going to be late (assuming you actually might have been stuck in traffic) did you call them to let them know? It's *possible* they would not have charged you extra if you had communicated with them.

$150 one day rental + $25.52 + $23 does not equal $238.38