We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report to Pleasanton/Tri-Valley (follow up)

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
336 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report to Pleasanton/Tri-Valley (follow up)

Hello,

I am just wanting to write a quick note of reaction to a few days in the Pleasanton/Livermore area as was recommended in this forum earlier in December.

We stayed at the Marriott-Pleasanton that I got from a name your own bid on Priceline. It was a very nice accommodation. No complaints other than they didn't offer free wi-fi, which I always find kind of foul.

Both Pleasanton and Livermore struck me as very new looking communities. Clearly, there has been a lot of recent renovation, etc. in both areas. I was told Livermore used to be a, "cowboy town" and got shined up in the last few years and I found it very quaint. We didn't have much of a chance to stroll and I think I may try to spend some more time in the area in the future.

We had some nice meals in Pleasanton. We ate at Oasis Grille in Pleasanton and I would highly recommend it. Innovative food. Our waitress was a dud, but I can't knock the food. Very well prepared and flavorful.

We also ate at Haps in Pleasanton and I had a smoked ribeye, which is quite unusual. It took on a bit of a ham note from the smoke which was probably hickory, but I didn't regret ordering it.

One lunch was at Wente Vineyard. Pricey, but nice food, as well.

Honestly, I wasn't blown away but much of the wine I tasted in the area. I was using Yelp to sound out what was open and we stopped at Blacksmith Square and tasted Three Steves and John Christopher Cellars. The Christopher Cellars reds were deep and inky, but didn't drink the part. I like the, "big" reds and didn't really get that in the Tri-Valley area. I did, however, get a bottle of Alicante Bouschet (atypical) at the Chouinard Winery in Castro Valley that was tasty.

In sum, I was very pleased with the recommendations and enjoyed my stay in the area. Both Livermore and Pleasanton's downtowns are well suited for strolling with lots of shopping and dining options. Again, I will repeat they both struck me as looking like they were constructed within the last 10 years. Everything including most of the residential sectors I saw looked very new or lightly worn at the very least.

The days in the area were more warm recollections from California.

Thanks again, everyone.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,710 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report to Pleasanton/Tri-Valley (follow up)

Thanks for the follow up! Score one for the Tri-Valley area. : ) I am not a big wine drinker and don't like reds anyway so I wouldn't have known any better.

Here is OP's previous thread in planning that ultimately led to the Tri-Valley.

tripadvisor.com/…54184747

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,719 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report to Pleasanton/Tri-Valley (follow up)

Yep, both of these towns had a lot of development during the real estate boom, so lots of stuff is new.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,816 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report to Pleasanton/Tri-Valley (follow up)

I think this is a first, a review of the Tri Valley.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
336 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report to Pleasanton/Tri-Valley (follow up)

I was asked to follow up with my reaction to suggestions once I got back, which was the inspiration for the post. I did appreciate the advice and found the areas charming, however.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report to Pleasanton/Tri-Valley (follow up)

Thanks for the TR. Had to look up why it's called "Tri-Valley" from http://www.visittrivalley.com/ (didn't realize it had a tourist promotion board!)

There was great angst when a local SF-based financial services company bought office space in Pleasanton, but nobody ended up moving because the dot-com bust happened and the office space was empty for years.

Edited: 4:49 pm, December 27, 2013
6. Re: Trip report to Pleasanton/Tri-Valley (follow up)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 29, 2014