We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacramento Day Trip

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
595 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Sacramento Day Trip

Hi all,

We'll be in SF for 4 days in April. I'm thinking about taking a day trip to Sacramento on our last day and returning to take our 12.30am flight to NY.

I won't have a car in SF so am looking at public transport. Amtrak seems slow and not particularly cheap. I've had a look at Megabus which seems much cheaper and faster. Does anyone have any thoughts on pros and cons of either ( or other alternatives ) ?

As a side note is San Jose worth a trip ?

Thanks Darren

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

You have 4 days in SF and that it what it may take to see SF. With due respect to our state capital, what are you spending 3-5 hours rt to go to Sacramento for ? Relatives . friends ?

San Jose ? Why ?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

Agree. There are much better places for a day trip out if SF (if you feel you need one) than either Sacto or SJ. How about Wine country or Monterey.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,787 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

Yes I am beginning to see it. Three days of great dining, shopping, drinking, and sight seeing, I too would be sick of this wanton hedonism. They don't call it Bagdad by the Bay for nothing. Anything to get away from it all, Sacto, San Jose, maybe even the Tri Valley.

No no no! Four days is barely enough to touch the surface of the great city of San Francisco. No point in going to either Sac or San Jose, fine cities though they may be in their own right.

Save Reply
4. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

I've been to San Francisco before and want to see something else. Not at all interested in Wine Country - I live 45 minutes from arguably better wine country.

sf
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

The question is what you want to see in Sacramento? The only thing I would want to see is along the Sacramento River in old town, beside that nothing else. Better to take a trip down to Monterey/Carmel,and see the coast of California.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

As much as we found many, many worthwhile things out of the SF area (Sacramento: train museum, capital, governor's mansion)...and San Jose (Rosicrucian Museum, the many small towns that included aerospace museum, Intel, Sunset Magazine gardens, too many to mention) we did not do any of them until we had been to SF many, many times...for the distance you are traveling, and the amount of time you are here, I would concentrate on SF.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

SFNATIV thank you. Is it possible / worthwhile doing Monterey by public transport ? I will be hiring a car and driving down the east coast but I'm not sure I could be bothered hiring one for a day.

To everyone else thank you as well. I know than SF is a fabulous city ( hence returning ) but I also know that it is not the only fabulous place on Earth so if I can check out some places I haven't been before that is something I'd like to do - especially since I am coming so far.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

Looks like there are multiple Newcastle posters here. Same person or related ? In any case if you want to go to sac without driving , capital corridor train or bus are the two options,

San Jose can be reached by www.caltrain.com and then VTA transit to get to wherever you plan to go

Have a great time

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,291 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

Sacramento is our state capitol and has some Gold-Rush-related sightseeing (primarily Sutter's Fort, a rail museum and Old Sacramento) and a good art museum, but is not otherwise a tourist attraction.

Downtown San Jose is fairly easy by public transit, but the city is spread out, so it rather depends on exactly where you want to go.

In your case, unless you have also already been there, I think a day trip to Monterey would be far more interesting and would bring you to an area that people come to from all over the world. Public transit is a bit trickier, but there are tours to Monterey and Carmel for the day.

If you do want to experience Sacramento, the Megabus would be much nicer than Amtrak. Be sure to allow lots of time to get back to the city (and then the airport) prior to your flight. Check-in is requested 90 minutes prior to a domestic flight, 2+ hours prior to an international flight.

Edited: 8:38 pm, December 15, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sacramento Day Trip

belomiser, same person. It's a facebook / tablet thing.