We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
334 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Google Maps suggests to walk to Geary Blvd & Powell St, take the 38 towards Richmond District and get off at Geary & Laguna and walk to hotel on Sutter St.

Is this the same as walking up to Sutter St and taking the 3 bus to Buchanan St and I will be right at the hotel?

Just wanted clarification since it looks like the 3 bus would also do the job from looking at the Muni map but it doesn't come up on any of the Google suggested routes nor at other sites either. Could it be the 3 bus does not run as often?

Thank you for your help.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

OP,

You know? If you have luggage why don't you just opt for a cab after you get into town on BART? I am not smart enough nor dexterous enough to understand the bus schedules and also lug even a carry-on on a public bus.

The Civic Center Station is the closest to the Hotel Tomo,but I do not know how easy it is to get a cab from there. The best place to get a cab is the Embarcadero Station, which is also the furthest away from your destination.

Frankly, I would just do a shuttle, which is often inconvenient, while you wait at the airport fo pick up a full load of passengers, but at least they take you door to door.

If there are more than one of you, I might also just do a cab....around $50 before tip.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Ya know, I agree with Puter on the cab! It's Christmas. Treat yourself for a quick ride unless your budget is very very tight. Otherwise it's over an hour or more with public transportation. I flew on Xmas day the last 2 years. I couldn't wait to get to the hotel in the cab and get started with vacation.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

I stayed at the Tomo a few years ago, got off BART at Powell Street and grabbed a cab. It's about a 1.5 mile ride so the fare is very little and the ride short. As I recall, there was a taxi queue near the Powell Street BART station (it have been attached to one of the nearby hotels).

Good luck!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
334 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Thanks for all the additional info. A cab from the Powell St Station might be what we will do especially if they are already handy at the station.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

There is no cab line immediately at Powell St. BART (cars are not even allowed on the last block of Powell because of the cable car turnaround). You can walk up 3 blocks to the St. Francis hotel, there usually is a cab line there. Tip the doorman if he assists.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
334 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

I guess if we're going to walk a couple blocks for the cab we might as well take the bus for the adventure of it. :-). We'll be taking it all over anyway to get everywhere while there.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

So after all that! ; ) I may then still head towards the St. Francis since it is right on Union Square and you are arriving ON Christmas Day. Seeing the tree and lights will put you in the mood right away. Depending on how you feel, you can cab it or still take one of the 3 buses we discussed.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

We have friends in town staying at the Tomo right now. They got off at Montgomery looking to take a bus there with their luggage on Saturday. After seeing buses in packed like sardines state, they decided to take a taxi, but didn't see one right away so walked the entire way to the hotel. I'm thinking in retrospect they wouldn't recommend their strategy.

You'll probably have better luck on Christmas day with lack of crowding on public transit, but even in a less crowded state, taking roll-aboard luggage that is small enough to fit in the overhead bins can be frustrating to take on muni. You're constantly trying to maneuver the luggage so it doesn't block the very narrow aisle. If the bus is uncrowded then your luggage can have the seat next to you, but don't be surprised if you're asked to move it as the bus fills up and as a person wants the seat which your luggage is taking.

Bart is easy with the large cars and empty spaces near the doors where luggage can go, but muni is uncomfortable with luggage at best, though possible with small pieces and on the now rarer than ever uncrowded vehicle. Muni just seems to keep cutting service, becoming more unreliable over time and experiencing it all with luggage for the first time may not be as exciting as you imagine. ;-) I've taken public transit with luggage from seatac on a few occasions and it is honestly a generally much less awful thing than the average muni experience has generally become. Though since its Christmas day you may be in for a little Christmas muni miracle when the bus isn't packed and the driver is friendly.

Honestly, a taxi from the embarcadero Bart station or from the airport would be my personal idea of a way to have a pleasant Christmas Day. Whatever you do, have a good trip and a great time while visiting.

19. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 11, 2014