We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is First Thursday (art walk) like?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
What is First Thursday (art walk) like?

Hi everyone,

In Honolulu, we have a "First Friday" art walk. All of the downtown galleries throw open their doors, maybe with a little wine and cheese.

When it first started out, it was a great way to see a bunch of art galleries in one night.

Then it turned into an overly crowded family friendly activity, sidewalks bursting with double wide strollers. And balloons. Lots of balloons.

And now it's a flimsy cover for colleged-aged debauchery. Mostly about the bars, not so much about the art (from what I've read, this is true of many cities).

Seems that there are two different First Thursday art walks. Is one of them better than the other? Is it all just BourbonStreet-styled drunkenness? Does one of them have the Hosfelt Gallery? I was told to try and fit that location into my wanderings.

Once again, thanks to all of you for helping craft an itinerary that is stuffed with great things to do. I feel like I'm getting a weeklong parade of "greatest hits".

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,775 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: What is First Thursday (art walk) like?

http://www.firstthursdayart.com has the list of galleries.

My personal info is dated a few years ago but we had a good time going to the galleries and it was nothing like you describe. We went with an Artist friend and I guess they have a special handshake or something we were treated really well and sipped a lot of wine in the back rooms in some of them but it was by no means a party atmosphere

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: What is First Thursday (art walk) like?

Have you been to the "Upper Tenderloin" art walk? It's also on the first Thursday of the month, but it doesn't seem to be connected to the official "First Thursday" art walk. The promos for that art walk seems...grittier...than the other First Thursday event.

My local museum director told me that I have to check out the Hosfelt Gallery, which was until recently part of the 49 Geary art galleries (and part of the official First Thursday). But they seem to have moved, and it's not so easy to decipher whether or not their First Thursday status moved with them.

Glad to hear it's not Bourbon Street. Seems like there will be enough of that with New Year's Eve.

3. Re: What is First Thursday (art walk) like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 24, 2014