We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

Hi

I have looked through all the articals on here and still cant decide

I think we would prefer to be in the Union Square area

We are a Family of 4 (kids aged 15 & 13)

All hotels listed below for the dates we want to stay in August 2014 work our about the same price so really just want to know thoughts on best hotel and best location - price does not come into it for this discussion

So the choices we have are:-

The Intercontinental

The Intercontinental Mark Hopkins

The Palace

The Westin St Francis

JW Marriot

Hyatt Regency

W San Francisco

I know its a long list but any help would really be appreciated

Thanks

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

You might find the "W" a bit "young" for your tastes. The Mark Hopkins is on top of Nob Hill and can be rather inconvenient to return to at the end of the day, especially if you are lugging your treasures back after a day of shopping.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,288 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

JW Marriott would be my first choice and it would be the most luxurious of those listed

The palace is nice as are the Westin St francis tower rooms. the w is more targeted towards the young and hip. The intercontinental on Howard is nice but that area is ok.

All the hotels listed are quite central so that is not the issue. The Mark Hopkins is a steep climb on nob hill

The hyatt regency is so so and is on the Embarcadero. Nice location so so hotel.

Have a look at room desc and sizes at www.oyster.com

By the way SF is the city, SFO or KSFO is the call sign for the airport and if you get in a cab and say SFO, the cabbie will take you to the airport

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

Off that list, I would choose the St. Francis for the excellent location and historic nature of the hotel.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,425 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

Here's my analysis:

1. I drop both Intercontinentals based on location. Not that the locations are bad per se, but I don't think of either of them as prime Union Square. In my mind one is really more a convention center hotel and the other you've got Nob Hill to deal with; again, not bad per se, but not as good/central as others ones on your list.

2. Ditto re: the W. Again, it's down by the convention center. While this area really isn't that far from Union Square/Market Street and actually does have a fair amount of stuff "right outside the door," I just don't consider it as good as Union Square.

3. Dropped the Hyatt Regency; again, location, location, location. I'm one of the regular posters that often says, "try Embarcadero," and this might be the top of a fallback list, but I don't think it stays on the initial short list. (One reason being that the Embarcadero tends to empty out on nights & weekends. It doesn't get "scary empty," but once the workers go home it tends to close down.)

This leaves us with: The Palace, Westin/St. Frances, and JW Marriott. A few comments on these:

1. The Palace isn't officially Union Square, which puts it last re: location, but it is right on Markets Street which sort of makes up for it. It won't do as well as the others for having things "right outside the door," but it's only a few minutes walking (or MUNI ride) involved. Also, it is a grand dame and has some wonderful public spaces so if that aspect has any appeal to you . . . .

2. Westin gets marks for being right on the square if that's important to you (not really for me, but . . . .).

3. Marriott is only about a block of the square and is the newest of these hotels; all but certain you're looking at larger (and nicer?) rooms here.

Bottom Line: My short list would be: The Palace, Westin/St. Frances, & JW Marriott. Of these I'd probably put The Palace in 3rd place. As for choosing between the Westin & Marriott; I'll leave that up to you. They're both good hotels and I'd say pick which one you'd prefer after considering things like: amenities, "flavor/style," perhaps price, whether being right on the square is important to you (or not), etc.

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

I agree with hlo's comments about locations. While I'd love to recommend the St. Francis, the reviews haven't been that great for some time.

I'd go with the JW Marriott in a heartbeat.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,830 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

Agree with White Dahlia. Love the JW.

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

Thank you all for your considered replies and the time and effort you have taken not only to reply with a hotel name but to give valid arguments for and against each hotel!

It has made it a lot easier to make a decision

So emails are now going off to both the Westin and the JW to see who will offer the best accomadation format for us

Thank you all once again

Im sure ill be back on here when i have more questions about the SF part of our road trip

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,806 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

My two choices would be The Palace and the Marriott Marquis over the JW Marriott.

I love The Palace, it is one of the great, old hotels in San Francisco and has a nice indoor pool, which was important to my kids when they were kids and teens.

The Marriott Marquis also has a nice indoor pool and is next to the Westfield Mall on Market Street.

I also love the St Francis and Mark Hopkins as classic, old SF hotels. The St Francis has a great location, but if you go there, do ask for a room in the new tower. The Mark is a great hotel, but being on top of Nob Hill puts some people off because of the walk up and down the hill.

Which ever place you choose I would visit the St Francis to see the lobby area, The Palace to have a meal in the Garden Court and the Mark Hopkins to have a drink at the Top of the Mark and maybe a visit to The Tonga Room in the Fairmont, also on Nob Hill.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

Also, don't miss the Pied Piper Room at the Palace and "meet me under the clock" at the ST. Francis.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you stay? 3 nights in SFO

Best hotel and best location to me is either St Francis then JW Marriott.