We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for a "walk in" dinner

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
285 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best area for a "walk in" dinner

I'm in San Francisco this week for Dreamforce (who isn't!). Wondering which area to head for with a couple of colleagues if we're just looking to have a wander around and find a casual spot for dinner without a reservation? No specific cuisine requirements, just somewhere with good odds of finding a table!

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best area for a "walk in" dinner

Chenery Park is an excellent suggestion. Quick BART ride, out of the way, great neighborhood.

Another option would be to take Muni Metro (K,L or M) to:

1) Forest Hills for Chou-Chou -- cute little French Bistro

2) West Portal -- another neighborhood like Glen Park with a number of restaurants not likely to be on any Dreamforce radar.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best area for a "walk in" dinner

I came through West Portal last night and I didn't notice any extra crowds, so I can pretty safely say it's probably off the radar for most conventioneers.

On a related note, muni has been doing experiments with their train service under Market Street lately. One recent night they were running a *3* car Castro shuttle (letter S) trains, which would also take the original poster to west portal.

Muni seems to be shorting the other lines of train cars at rush hour when they do this, so the L trains were only one car (usually 2). Most lines except the S-shuttle were already full at the first stop at embarcadero and the crowding was even worse than usual. I'd suspect the poster might need to either take the s-shuttle, or back-ride to embarcadero to be able to get on a K, L or M during rush hour if muni is still shorting cars on the other lines as part of their experiment. I hear the 3 car Castro Shuttle trains may become a regular thing.

Even at West Portal, some of the smaller places will need reservations or to go early or late to get in without a very long wait. Fresca is often that way, anyway, and mozzarella di buffula pizza is usually pretty busy before movie starting times for the theater next door. But there are enough restaurants in the area that you're likely to get in to something by walking in (or only a small wait) if you shop around and aren't too picky about where you eat.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best area for a "walk in" dinner

Assuming there is not a large convention in town how far in advance would you reserve a restaurant?

I'm thinking in the Union Square area, not top notch but decent restaurants. Would you need to book a few days ahead, a week or so or would just the morning of the same day be good enough?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best area for a "walk in" dinner

Saturday or Friday evening should be done in advance to get the time you want . Others can be done same day or the day before. Depends on the restaurant and how popular it is. If you go to a restaurant in union square that rhymes with beefsteak, and will go nameless! I have no idea . LOL

15. Re: Best area for a "walk in" dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 23, 2014