We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

oahu, hawaii
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

Hi,

My hubbo and I are coming to SF for only one full day (the saturday before xmas). I have been before, but he hasn't so we will be doing all of the regular tourist stops…We are staying in Union square and are arriving the night before. So… these are the things I want to hit… I left out meals… I figure we will do breakfast or lunch either in the ferry building or maybe get some pastries and a coffee in around new y

top of the list!

Ferry building

marina

ghiradelli sq

golden gate bridge

fine arts museum (just for pictures outside)

trolleys

We will def. be having crab, and would love some good oysters (suggestions??)

would really like to squeeze in

China town- perhaps dim sum and/or the fortune cookie factory

We also love to stop for snacks and cocktails along the way… our favorite days involve eating… and drinking… our way around a city. There are a lot more places I would like to visit so we will definitely be back!!! PLEASE HELP! Where should we start? Any awesome breakfast/lunch/pastry/drink/BEER places along the way??

then I have no clue for dinner… I'm thinking a late dinner around the place we are staying…

Thanks so much in advance!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

Sorry you want to do all this and eat and drink . Why not just take a tour as it will zip you through all these places in half a day and give you time to eat breakfast, have a late lunch and dinner try best Bay Area tours or city by the bay tours or Dylan's which shows a lot more than you may want to see

Or you could take a HOHO tour but it will take more time if you have to wait for buses

Or start with a cable car ( is that your trolley ) from Powell and go to Ghiradelli square and then take the 30 Stockton to bay/Laguna and the 29-19th ave toward Daly City to the GG bridge

Which museum are you planning to visit ? DeYoung or Legion of honor. ?

Oysters at hog island oyster company in the ferry building

Dinner ? What sort of food ?

Dimsum is a lunch thing. You could if you want to just do legion of honor , take the 28-19th toward Daly City from GG bridge and get off at Geary at. Park Presido and take 38 toward Landsend and walk to the legion and then take it back and get off near Hong. Kong flower lounge for dimsum

Edited: 6:07 am, November 15, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

Marina? Which marina? There is one at South Beach near AT&T. Or do you mean Fisherman's Wharf?

I too would suggest a tour given your limited timeframe. I think a guided one would be better than a HOHO for the same reason. Either Dylan's or Comprehensive. Dylan's 5 hour tour includes Muir Woods.

http://dylanstours.com/

http://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

perhaps you meant the marina district?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

I agree, think about a tour and have the rest of the day free to do whatever you want.

Apart from Dylans and Comprehensive Shuttle already mentioned have a look at Best Bay Area Tours.

They do a fun tour and you can suggest things you want to see and they will try and slot that into the tour.

https:/…tour_san_francisco.php

oahu, hawaii
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

Thank you for the thoughts on the tour… but we aren't really interested in doing a tour… I think we decided we are going to go to the ferry building for the saturday market for breakfast and coffee (blue bottle coffee… any thoughts on pastries/breakfast?) the only thing that I'm a little sad about is not being around this area for lunch to have some oysters… i think 8am is too early for oyster ;) unless anyone knows of a good place where they serve it in a bloody mary??

from there we will take the F trolley up to pier 39 and fisherman's wharf for some pictures and a sourdough roll from boudin, then to ghiradelli sq for a hot chocolate. Depending on the weather we are going to rent bikes to ride over to the presidio to take gg and palace of the fine arts pictures.

on the way back we will drop off the bikes then take the cable car the powell-hyde line…

I would like to stop along the powell/hyde line for lunch (or in russian hill area before riding the cable car up), either at a spot to grab some lunch to enjoy around lafayette park or at a restaurant with some especially delicious food/cocktails. or depending on how hungry we are we may just grab a snack and hop back on a cable car to go to chinatown for dim sum…but I'm thinking it will be too late at this point…

For dinner we were going to walk from union sq up to north beach and pick out a place. We like all types of food, just looking for something delicious that isn't too pricey (<100$ for the whole meal with drinks)

thats the plan! I know it's a lot to do in one day… but we will start and see how it goes!! Any must see places a long the way are welcomed, especially food ideas.

THANKS!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

If you're not going to take a tour then I suggest a good map.

I'm still not sure if you mean "marina" or "Marina District" but it's looking like the later.

There is a big difference between "Fine Arts Museum" (in your initial post) and "Palace of Fine Arts"

Lafayette Park is not on Russian Hill

There are a few restaurants on Hyde street along the cable car line on Russian Hill but I think most of them are dinner only (Frascati and Zarzuela are two I'm thinking of). There are more on Polk Street, one block west.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

You plan to "hop on" the cable car two times in your already too busy day. That will be an hour wait each time, so you will have to plan two hours less to see all your sights.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

While it is common to see long lines for two of the three cable car lines at their turnarounds, I wouldn't allocate two hours for waiting to board as there are multiple ways to avoid this wait and/or reduce it substantially.

The most obvious is to get an early start before the long lines have formed (ditto as to late when the lines start to go down). Second, you don't have to board at the turnaround. Boarding at other places along the route is an option. Now the ride isn't as long and you still might have to wait for a few Cable Cars to find room to board, but it's only rarely going to mean a longer wait than at the turnarounds (and when it does, it's probably going to be because there isn't a line at the turnaround). Lastly, if you're willing to split a group up then you increase the chance of (some of you) getting on the next car as they'll often be "room for one." (Be sure and set up a spot to meet up at your destination.

A few other comments:

1. Consider using the California Cable Car route to get to the Ferry Building. This will allow you to get a Cable Car ride "checked off" with basically *no* wait, I don't think I've ever seen anyone not be able to board the next Cable Car on this route.

2. Consider the Powell-Mason as an alternative to return to Union Square from the FW area. Views aren't as iconic, but the wait is usually shorter if you're boarding at the turnaround.

3. If you decide to get back to Chinatown for lunch, then I would suggest the F Market & California Cable Car rather than either of the FW Cable Cars for the reasons given above (or something else, for this I don't think I would put up with any wait for the ride).

4. I don't think anyone has mentioned the MUNI Passport, but particularly since you're talking about (potentially) multiple Cable Car rides, I'd suggest getting one. For $14 you can ride MUNI all day (including the Cable Cars, which otherwise are $6 every time you board). Plus, there is are convenience factors to a passport that I won't go into.

That's my $.02,

hlo

9. Re: Only one day, need help deciding order of where to go first.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 20, 2014