We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

I'm going to be in SF for work and staying in the Financial District. My family will be driving up to join me for the weekend once my business trip is done. I will likely stay in a hotel that will be around $200 in the FD area. One option is to continue to stay in that hotel for the weekend and pay for another room for my family.

I'm also considering moving to another neighborhood in SF where the hotels are more affordable and there is reasonable parking options. I have heard hotel parking in some parts of SF can be up to $50 daily (!). Since we're only going to be there for the weekend, I'd prefer to stay in SF and/or closer to the tourist sites (it will be their first visit to SF).

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,524 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

Budget Hotels and Hotels with Parking (Updated May 2013) has a list of hotels with parking mainly in the Lombard street area from cow hollow to Coventry to del sol to Buena vista to Columbus motor inn

SF is relatively small so why not skip the car and stay in union square or where you are going to stay originally and not move. A car is really more of a pain than a help to see SF

Why not peruse the top questions. There is a Map with hotels and attractions. What to see and do lists. So much to help you plan your trip

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

As you have found there are very few downtown options is reasonably priced or free parking. There is one -- the Mayflower hotel. Definitely budget level but clean and gets good reviews and mention here. Their parking lot is very small however (it's on older building) and they don't have one spot per room. But it's an option to check out.

In Chinatown there is the Royal Pacific Motor Inn that has free parking. Reviews are so-so, and I don't think the forum has ever heard from anyone who stayed there. But the location is good and it looks OK from the outside.

On the edge of Fisherman's Wharf is the Columbus Motor Inn. Also free parking. Location is good -- walking distance to the Wharf and North Beach. The bus stop immediately outside.

Along Lombard Street west of Van Ness is "motel row" and is chock-a-block with motor inns. The Cow Hollow, Coventry, Chelsea and del Sol are the favorites but there are tons more. This area is about 10 minutes to the Wharf, 15 to North Beach and 30+ (depending on the traffic through Chinatown) to Union Square. But it is between two nice neighborhoods (Cow Hollow and the Marina) and on about 5 different bus lines.

Read the Top Question (right hand side) for "Budget Hotels with Parking" for more complete info.

------------------------

Morning belo ... hand over the Tardy Typist Tiara please. It will go well with my Monday activities!

Edited: 10:23 am, November 11, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,668 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

Funny but we (Mr. Riff and I ) have actually stayed at the Royal Pacific Motor Inn in Chinatown!! It was MANY years ago so have no idea how it is now but I'd say it was a basic motel in an interesting location.

We have stayed in many different neighborhoods in San Francisco since both of our children have lived there at one time or another. I think that the Lombard St.motel row area is probably the best for a first stay where you need parking.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

Thanks everyone. I discovered the handy hotels w/parking map a nanosecond after posting my question ;)

As to the question of why drive, I'm not driving. I'm flying in for a business trip. I have family visiting from Australia during that time and they are staying in LA. My brother will be driving them up to SF where we will all meet up for the weekend. Thus, the need for parking.

I don't even own a car so my preference is to always forego driving. I am always considering going through VRBO so if there are any suggestions for nice and convenient residential neighborhoods, I would appreciate it.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,182 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

For just a weekend with first time visitors, do the hotel/motel route. You will not find parking with a vrbo that is located in a convient location. If your goal is to all be together in the house and sightseeing is secondary, then that's different.

If you want to stay in the Union Square area, just factor in the cost of parking for the weekend.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

There's a TQ on neighborhoods to VRBO. But I agree with above, for just a weekend it may not be worth it -- especially if there is a one-time cleaning fee attached.

I don't know how many you are in total but there are a couple of suite hotels: Suites at Fisherman's Wharf and Cow Hollow Suites (attached to the Cow Hollow motor inn). This last has two bedroom options.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

If you really wanted to stay in a vrbo or airbnb place somewhere central you might find a garage for putting the car in, which would also be an extra fee. Like whiteDahlia and chinita say, it is probably not cheapest or most convenient with cleaning fees and usually parking will not be included with the unit unless it has a private garage or larger private driveway.

I've seen some of the rentals that gloss over the parking problem or try to imply you'll have parking by putting in phrases like "plenty of street parking" or "parking in driveway."

Street parking is really not a good option since most central neighborhoods require resident permits to park for more than a few hours during the day. Many driveways in San Francisco are tiny and not long enough for the car to fit without blocking some or all of the sidewalk, so its still possible you could get ticketed while parked in a driveway for blocking the sidewalk. Many people may park in a driveway for a short visit or to drop something off, but it's often not a good long-term option and you're taking some risk of a ticket when blocking a sidewalk.

If you do decide to get a vacation rental, I would be sure to get information about the exact parking arrangement if someone claims to have parking so you can make an informed decision.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

It looks like the plan to drive up has been scrapped and the visiting family members (1 adult, 3 teens) will be coming up by bus. I agree with the advice that VRBO for a weekend probably isn't the best idea.

The new prickly situation is purely family politics--I think the visitors should pay their own way up and I want to encourage them to fly since a roundtrip ticket is likely only going to be $40-50 more per person. And they can save 6-8 hours each way. But cultural etiquette means my (underemployed) mom will be pay for the tickets and she will (rightly) select the cheaper bus option.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,668 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

Have any of these folks done this bus trip before this????

It sounds horrible to me! IF it were my mom I'd think of some ways around this but then every family is different!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable neighborhoods in SF w/parking

I'm tempted to talk to the visitors--suggesting they fly instead of busing it and strongly hinting they should pay for their own fare. I will be paying for their motel/hotel as it is. I have to think it through as it may cause some family issues...They wanted my brother to drive them up which is a strong enough hint they are trying to save on travel costs so I'm guessing they won't be keen on paying the airfare.