We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

I would love some advice for my upcoming trip. Will be doing a short 6 day trip to San Francisco for the first time w/ my 9 month old and hubby. We will be staying in Union Square but would like to spend some much needed time relaxing, eating, shopping, and checking out the local attractions. We don't mind spending money on worthwhile places, guided tours where less researching/thinking is involved would be great but don't want to break the bank either. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of visiting Sausalito, and Alcatraz.

- Should I consider doing the 3 day or 7 day Adult CityPass & can it be purchased at the airport?

- Will the pass be enough to take me around the city easily?

- Will the Muni take me from the airport to Union Square or should I just take a taxi?

- Are there any must-do guided tours? seafood restaurants?

- Will light sweaters suffice for the weather?

- Any suggestions for a good place to eat for Thanksgiving dinner?

I'm not expecting all my Q's to get answered but any advice would be appreciated!

Thx!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

<<Should I consider doing the 3 day or 7 day Adult CityPass & can it be purchased at the airport?>>

The City Pass is different from the Muni Passport. While City Pass includes a 7 day Muni Pass it also includes entrance to a few attractions. Check the City Pass website to determine if those attractions are of interest to you. City Passes are NOT available at the airport. Muni Passports ARE.

<<Will the pass be enough to take me around the city easily?>>

For most people I would say 'yes.' But you're hauling around a 9 month old crumb-cruncher. It all depends if you can drag a stroller around or haul the kid in a sling. Up to you.

<<Will the Muni take me from the airport to Union Square or should I just take a taxi?>>

Muni does not go to the airport (it's strictly SF transit). There is BART from the airport to Powell St. which is near Union Square. The Muni Passport is not good on BART and the fare from the airport is $8.50/pp. You might want to have a sneak peek at our Top Questions (right hand side, non mobile site) as there is a lot of info on transit over there.

<<Are there any must-do guided tours? seafood restaurants?>>

This is not a one size fits all world. There is no such thing as a "must do" and the term "bucket list" makes me want to tear my hair out. What kind of things do you like? Seafood restaurants ... check the TQs there's one over there for seafood. And tours also.

<<Will light sweaters suffice for the weather?>>

No. Especially for people coming from Hawaii. Highs will probably be in the mid-50s during the day. But it will be colder along the waterfront and out on the bay if you take the ferry to Sausalito. Rain is a possibility.

<<Any suggestions for a good place to eat for Thanksgiving dinner?>>

Check www.opentable.com for the Thanksgiving offerings (and book ahead). Expect high prices and nothing too special in the way of food. If the "traditional holiday meal" option doesn't suit, many places in Chinatown will be open and serving their regular menu. And, TBH, this may work better with a 9 month old who doesn't have a great appreciation for a huge, expensive, time consuming meal.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,288 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

With a nine month old, I would do room service and relax or find a Chinese place as White d suggests . I may not do any 4-5 hour tours with that young a kid. At that age when we traveled, we either used transit or a hop on off tour so we were not forced to take our baby on their schedule but hours

Please get an umbrella stroller and if you like to walk a baby carrier and let the hubby do the carry and pushing ..we are used to that. LOL

3. Re: Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 am, November 15, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
110 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

Your most affordable way from SFO to San Francisco is BART, follow the signs at the airport for the automated ride, but a shared airport shuttle or taxi is most convenient. There are lots of things to do in the Union Square and Nob Hill area for the holidays. One of my favorites is the gingerbread house at the Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill. The Citipass is a good idea as it gets you on the cable car as well as Muni. If it rains, and we are due for some, try the hop on hop off buses - there are several operating in SF and the museums. There is a new animation exhibit at the Disney museum and a wonderful jewelry exhibit at the de Young museum in Golden Gate Park. Check out the deals available on Groupon and Living Social and Open Table for deals on restaurants. Some of my favorites are Delancy's - white table clothes and very reasonable, the Cliff House and Beach Chalet, the North Beach Restaurant. Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
110 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

Your most affordable way from SFO to San Francisco is BART, follow the signs at the airport for the automated ride, but a shared airport shuttle or taxi is most convenient. There are lots of things to do in the Union Square and Nob Hill area for the holidays. One of my favorites is the gingerbread house at the Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill. The Citipass is a good idea as it gets you on the cable car as well as Muni. If it rains, and we are due for some, try the hop on hop off buses - there are several operating in SF and the museums. There is a new animation exhibit at the Disney museum and a wonderful jewelry exhibit at the de Young museum in Golden Gate Park. Check out the deals available on Groupon and Living Social and Open Table for deals on restaurants. Some of my favorites are Delancy's - white table clothes and very reasonable, the Cliff House and Beach Chalet, the North Beach Restaurant. Enjoy!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

I really can't agree with the concept that you shouldn't have a full Thanksgiving dinner in a grand room with all the decorations and music, but rather have the same meal on a cramped table in your hotel room. The only difference will be that you miss out on all the decorations and your room service will be cold compared to services in the main dining room and it will be more expensive. If the baby acts up it will be no different in either place and you are not, after all, buying a full turkey dinner for baby. So why scrimp on the fun of the festival, eat cold food and pay more for it? Check to see if the Palace, the Clift, the Fairmont, the Mark Hopkins and/or the St.Francis can accommodate you for this special day.

Edited: 10:56 pm, November 22, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

<<The Citipass is a good idea as it gets you on the cable car as well as Muni. >>

This statement needs some clarification. The cable cars ARE Muni, just with a different cash fare. The CitiPass will indeed give you unlimited Muni (including cable cars) rides. HOWEVER, it also includes entrance to a lot of attractions that may or may not be of value to you.

As I indicated in #1 ... there is a Muni Pass *only* which can be purchased in 1,3,7 day increments. MUCH cheaper than the City Pass. Here's a comparison: sfmta.com/getting-around/…visitor-day-passes

8. Re: Advice Needed for my Thanksgiving Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 24, 2014