We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyde Cable car not running full route today

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
805 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Hyde Cable car not running full route today

"On Monday October 28, SF Muni reports Hyde street between Clay and Sacramento will be closed until this afternoon. Buses are servicing the Hyde Cable Car line until further notice.Click here for alternatives to get around SF Muni service disruptions."

From sfmta.com

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyde Cable car not running full route today

Sorry that you won't be able to take that cable car. You can take the Powell mason line. Have a good day visiting SF

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
805 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyde Cable car not running full route today

LOL. Thanks, but sadly, I am not IN San Francisco today. This was just meant to be an FWI.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyde Cable car not running full route today

Cable cars use a complicated mechanical technology (I should also add “obsolete”) and problems (both planned maintenance and emergency issues) with the underground pulleys, cables and “depression bars” (they hold the cable down inside the slot where needed) are not uncommon.

Luckily the system uses 4 cables for the three lines, (a California cable for the California Street line, the Hyde cable from the cable barn at Washington Mason to the waterfront end of the Hyde Line, a Mason cable for the waterfront end of the Mason Line and the Powell Street cable, shared by the Mason & Hyde lines from the car house to the Market Street turntable) so a problem with one cable normally does not shut the entire system down.

As a visitor, if you find a line out of service, it is possible, even likely that somewhere else there is a cable car to ride.

By the way, I strongly recommend that visitors take a few minutes to visit the cable car barn at Washington and Mason streets (served by the Powell-Hyde and Powell-Mason cables…) It includes both overhead and underground viewing areas to see the cable machinery, as well as a museum with a couple of early cars on display. And its free… (except for the store with its assortment of tee shirts, postcards and books….) http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/

Randy

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
805 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyde Cable car not running full route today

I agree. I stopped at the Cable Museum on my first [adult] trip to SF several years ago. I had a Visitor Pass, so I could hop off the Cable Car and then back on when I was done. Hubby was at a conference and I was exploring the city on my own. I couldn't figure out how the cars crossed at Californian St! I learned at the museum how the cables work and how the car could go across California without getting all messed up!

I also recommend the San Francisco Railway Museum, near Embarcadero, where there is lot to see and learn more about street cars, cable cars and the city.

http://www.streetcar.org/museum/

5. Re: Hyde Cable car not running full route today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 30, 2014