We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran and Northern Cal 1-week trip

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
San Fran and Northern Cal 1-week trip

Hey folks,

My wife and I are planning a trip to San Francisco and northern California for one week during Christmas. I was planning on staying in SF for 3-4 days, so we can go around all the attractions and then take 2-3 days to drive around northern California.

My question is...in those 2-3 days, where do you guys recommend travelling?

I was planning on driving north on US 1 and swing around to Napa, possibly going to a Redwood tree site or park, before heading east to South Tahoe.

I'd appreciate ideas that are unique or out of the beaten path, something that is definitely worthwhile to visit.

Thanks,

IF

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran and Northern Cal 1-week trip

Sure the coast north of SF sounds fine and there is a drive that covers that route in the top questions on the right side called Popular day trips.... You can extend it

Well that would take a day or two depending on what you want to do and see and sure with a ski ready vehicle you could do a few days in Tahoe . Unless you want to rush rush, you may need a couple of days to do Tahoe and get back

All the places mentioned are great to visit . All depends on how many days you have not including the days you fly

BTW SF hotels will be their cheapest around the 25th and get more exp around. NYE

Edited: 12:49 pm, October 27, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,661 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran and Northern Cal 1-week trip

Take a look at this one....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran and Northern Cal 1-week trip

Just so you know, it may be snowing in South Tahoe, and driving condition may not be ideal. You may even get into traffic jams heading there or leaving there since there could be tons of skiiers and snowboarders travelling in and out of that area during the week between Christmas and New Year.

4. Re: San Fran and Northern Cal 1-week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 29, 2014