We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uss hornet and uss midway

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Uss hornet and uss midway

My husbands greatest wish has been to stand on an aircraft carrier,so as a surprise for his retirement, after I discovered.there is museum with uss hornet on display,I have secretly booked a 10 day trip to San Francisco.I also discovered since booking that there is another one in San Diego,the uss midway. I know that he will enjoy the Golden Gate Bridge and other things in san francisco,but keep worrying which carrier would have been best.I know my hubby will be thrilled to see any,but keep wondering if it would be worth the money to book a flight to San Diego for a day,as we will not be able to have a car.can someone please put my mind at rest and let know would it be a waste of money or is the midway loads better and worth it? I have only just discovered forums,being quite new to computers(family bought me an I pad for Xmas now I'm addicted!.) I would be grateful for any advise

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

Well that is a tough one. I personally like the. Midway. More popular than the hornet but i personally would not recommend that you just fly for the day to San Diego to see just the carrier. The Hornet is less crowded so you may be able to get a special tour if you contact them and set it up for a special price I am sure

It all depends on your DH's interest . Was he in the Navy ? And on a carrier ? I personally have been on those two plus two other active carriers on family day and they are all very different

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

Never been to the Midway but my husband and I visited the Hornet several times and found it fascinating. It has lots of interesting history, informative docents, an Apollo 11 display (the Hornet retrieved the astronauts from the ocean after their return from the moon), and a beautiful view of the SF skyline from the flight deck. I am sure your husband will enjoy his visit very much....he is a lucky guy to have such a thoughtful wife!

PS, He might also enjoy visiting the USS Pampanito, a World War II submarine on display at Fisherman's Wharf in SF and the old boats on display at Hyde St. Pier.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

Did a trade show on the Hornet several years ago finding it a most fascinating experience. They included a tour which I found to be very informative.

Enjoy!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,720 posts
5,781 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

The Hornet is interesting and there is also a section on the 1st flight to the moon.

I think your husband will enjoy it.

There are sometimes special events on the Hornet so you might want to check if anything special going on while in the area

uss-hornet.org/calendar/upcoming/index.shtml

I have been on the Hornet and the Midway - and sigh - I do think the Midway is so special that you might want to consider a day trip to see it.

The things I liked on the Midway more were

1) Spectacular views from the flight deck

2) The number of planes they also had on their flight deck

3) The presentations that were made on the ship

4) The fact that San Diego is still an active military harbor - so it would also be worth doing both the Midway and a harbor cruise

5) And well documented history (you get a free wand to hear about the stories).

but if he would be satisfied with just being on one - the Hornet is amazing and closer....

but the Midway has more to offer.

Enjoy your trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

While in the San Francisco Bay area you might want to visit both the San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park and the beautiful Mare Island National Historic Park (formerly Mare Island Naval Shipyard).

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

Thank you so much for your reply.Hubby will love to see the sub and boats! also he has always been very interested in the Appollo space trips.Many years ago we went to kennedy space centre and he saw one take off. He is going to be so surprised when he finds out that I have booked everything on my own on my I pad! As we are going at the end of march I will tell him at Xmas. That way he will have something to look forward to through our miserable English winter! not quite sure what to pack,but I'll cover all possibilities! thanks again for help .

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

It will be warmer than England but we hope it will be raining in SF. The rains in CA are pretty meek and pathetic compared to your neck of the woods so dress in layers with light rain jacket. Why layers because at night it gets windy and cold specifically along the water or on the GG bridge or if you go for a cruise or boat ride in the bay

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

Thanks for all replies.maybe we can put any rain on hold we get so much here ! We only have to have a short time without rain before we get a hosepipe ban! Better pack a folding brolly just in case!

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

+1 for the submarine. I thought it was really cool when I toured it.

+ 2 for you planning such an awesome surprise for you husband -- lucky man!

sf
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Uss hornet and uss midway

You might also look at Groupon & Livingsocial websites as they frequently have special discouints on the Hornet.