We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip from san Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
day trip from san Francisco

We have 2.5 days in SF before we start our tour across US. No car.

One day we thought we would explore SF itself

and the other was thinking of either a day tour of Napa Valley (wine tour) or trip to Monterey/Santa Cruz? Any recommendations? Preferences?

If Napa...favourite wineries and why? Most picturesque in Spring? Best lunch stop? Love old rustic buildings/atmosphere but also ultra modern

If Monterey....best tour? Do they stop at santa Cruz- worth it?

Have time before tour for Alcatraz trip also.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip from san Francisco

Stay in SF. One day isn't enough.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip from san Francisco

Sorry is this beyond the 2.5 days in SF or during? Listen to Simba please

And is this how the rest or your US visit is planned . No research no looking at top questions in these forums, no guide book. Please take the time to get a good guide book, do some research and plan a great vacation that you want to do and not planned by some strangers.

How can strangers suggest choosing between wine county and Monterey without knowing anything about you and your tastes ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip from san Francisco

2.5 days will barely scratch the surface in San Francisco, particularly if you plan on a trip to Alcatraz..

While Napa / Sonoma and the Monterey Peninsula are great destinations, I'd add more days to see them.....not take away from your time in SF.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip from san Francisco

Stay in San Francisco. Come back later for other trips.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip from san Francisco

Thankyou datthe coast and simba for helpful advices. I have read the top questions re SF and am guided by MY interests in the 3 day guide.... I have 2 full days then a 3rd to do a morning alcatraz tour and explore fisherman wharf area. We dont arrive till spring as mentioned, so plenty of time to research hence the posted question asking advices of locals...something you cant get out of a book

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip from san Francisco

Agree with the others. Two full days isn't enough to see everything in town and certainly not enough time to do a day trip out of the city.

There is a lot more to San Francisco than Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf.

(North Beach, Chinatown, Union Square, Coit Tower, Filbert Street Steps, Crissy Field, Golden Gate Park, the Mission/Castro/Dolores Park, Presidio ... and that's just a few spots.)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip from san Francisco

earthwalker5, did you take into account your jet lag? you may spend the first day sleeping. or half the day asleep. so plan that into your itinerary. depending on which direction you travel when you start your trip across the USA, you may be able to see monterey if you drive down south. you may want to try the other cities' forums to get some answers. perhaps they have top questions you can look at. or you can search your topics on these threads. i recall that the monterey tour you'd spend 4 + hours in a bus. and i love what another said, on a bus after a long flight it puts you to sleep and you spend a lot of time nodding off. it's great that you've come here for help. the DE's work best when they have more specific questions they can help with. most basic questions are answered to the right under Top Questions ---> happy planning.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip from san Francisco

Thanks again for replies and I DO understand that there is more to SF than Alcatraz and Fishermans wharf.

Hooley dooley hard to ask a question on this forum

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip from san Francisco

<<Hooley dooley hard to ask a question on this forum>>

Have never heard "hooley dooley" before but I don't understand your apparent upset. You asked. We answered. Evidently it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip from san Francisco

Did we just get a "Kangaroo Kussin' Out?" :-)