We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street parking on Geary street

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Street parking on Geary street

Hello,

I will be staying at the Hotel California for 4 nights at the beginning of October. I will be arriving on a Saturday after driving from Monterey and have to return the rental car to Hertz on Mason Street which closes at 6pm but I don't know if I will definitely be there before this time. I noticed on Google maps there is metered parking on the street near this hotel. Will I be ok leaving the car parked here on a Saturday night until the next morning when I can return it to Hertz?

Am I right in thinking that from 6pm on Sat to 12pm on Sun will be free to park?

Thanks in advance for any help!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,408 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Street parking on Geary street

I would sign up for hertz gold so you are emailed receipts etc and make sure that Gold Number is on your rental. I have not heard of people from hertz adding extra charges But I would suggest taking a photo of the car at the parklng spot before you leave so that you have proof that the car was not dented when you left just a standard precaution and not specific to hertz and please enjoy your drive don't rush it just to get back by 6

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Street parking on Geary street

from the Hertz website for Mason Street regarding after hours drop,

After hours return is not reservable, however, the vehicle may be returned until 2000 except on selected public holidays.

After hour return charges (as well as optional service charges) for non-Insurance Replacement rentals will accrue until the location reopens for business.

For example, if the vehicle is returned on Monday evening at 9:00 pm when the location is closed, rental charges will accrue until Tuesday morning when the location reopens for business.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Street parking on Geary street

There was still a manager on site and I got a recipient. In fact, I brought up a fueling issue and got credited. I can contact Mason St and ask. This would be for returning on a Saturday evening, correct?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Street parking on Geary street

Thanks TravelingChumley, that would be great! As long as it's not too much trouble.

That's right it would be for a drop off on a Saturday evening. The rental car is actually booked until 2pm on the Sunday so I am assuming it would the same price as they open up at 6am.

Thanks for your help it's really appreicated.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Street parking on Geary street

i suggest you check traffic before you arrive in SF. the freeway to the Bay Bridge is very thick and if you decide to get off in downtown you'll spend a lot of time in traffic. you may want to go 280 into town. you can check via some hand held device or radio: 740 AM traffic on the :08's. if it says backup to cesar chavez, you can decide to take 280 if you want. otherwise you could stay on 101 and get off at 9th street if you want to move it along.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Street parking on Geary street

I just spoke to a person at Mason St via phone, he claims return by 7:45pm 7 days a week. I think the reason why he says 7:45pm is because be doesn't want a line at 8pm for returns and he wants to go home. So to avoid parking charges, 7:45pm and there will be a live person to close your contract.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Street parking on Geary street

Great thanks a lot TravelingChumley, I really appreciate you calling. This really helps if we can drop off up to 7.45pm as we won't have to rush too much on the drive up. I don't think we'll be any later than this and it saves all the hassle of parking.

Thanks again!!

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Street parking on Geary street

One more tip, when you drive up, look for the Hertz sign, it will lead you to a ramp going up. There may be a red or green light to control movement, sometimes the light stays red, just wait, sound your horn and drive up slowly. There will be someone to help one you head to the second level.

19. Re: Street parking on Geary street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 22, 2014