We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Itinerary Help - SF, Tahoe & Yosemite, 3.28 - 4.6

chicago, usa
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Family Itinerary Help - SF, Tahoe & Yosemite, 3.28 - 4.6

Planning a family trip (2 adults, 2 boys - 12 & 15) to San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite for late winter/early spring, 3.28 - 4.6. Thinking of 4 nights in SF, 2-3 nights South Lake Tahoe and 2-3 nights Yosemite, then back to SF to fly out. Would rent a car to get to Tahoe and Yosemite.

Would we be able to ski Heavenly the first week of April? Would we enjoy Yosemite then, too? Is this too much for 10 days? Kids are good travelers. Places to stay and any other advice would be appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Itinerary Help - SF, Tahoe & Yosemite, 3.28 - 4.6

well with how strange the weather has been, it is hard to predict what ski conditions in late March will be but I would say, you should have a good time in Tahoe and should be able to ski with no issues and Yosemite is amazing all year long. I think you have a good itinerary. Just make sure you rent a ski ready SUV to go to Tahoe and you may need to carry chains to go to Yosemite

This is the SF forum and all about SF and each area you are visiting has its own forum so I would not just post the same question in each forum as most TA regulars read them all but if you have a specific question about where to stay, check the TOP QUESTIONS in each forum. Plenty of info there starting with the SF forum on where to stay in SF and what to see and do and trip reports for you to read.

Have the boys help you plan a great vacation. Let us know if you have any SF questions.

Edited: 11:23 am, September 10, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Itinerary Help - SF, Tahoe & Yosemite, 3.28 - 4.6

I skied at Heavenly one year in mid-April. Downside was they were already closing a lot of lifts and runs. But still, the place was pretty empty (during the week).

3. Re: Family Itinerary Help - SF, Tahoe & Yosemite, 3.28 - 4.6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 12, 2014