We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

What is the best way to get from the airport to Union Square please - I guess it would be a taxi, but what can we expect to pay and how long is the journey? We might consider public transport if it wasn't too difficult (we'll have luggage each) but at the moment we're just not sure. If we use a taxi is it best to book one in advance or pick one up at the airport. thanks.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

Please check the Top Questions on the right hand side of the screen (on a non-mobile version of TA). There is one there titled "BART, cab, shuttle to Union Square..."

Cab will vary based on traffic but at least $35-40. No need to book in advance. Shuttles average $17pp. BART is $8.25 pp and Union Square hotels are waking distance from Powell Street BART station. Although BART may be on strike come tomorrow.

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

I've looked at the advice at the top of the forum and am considering the BART, but I know the Powell Street Station is 4 blocks from the hotel, but how long would this take us to walk as we wouldn't really want to take more than 10-15 minutes as we will both have a case each.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

How long does it take to walk 4 blocks? Depends on how fast you walk. It's .3 miles slightly uphill. Google Maps says it's an 8 minute walk.

Tons of people do it.

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

that's great - we don't walk particularly fast, but we just didn't want to be doing a ten mile hike before we got to the hotel. BART it is then!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

I realize folks from the UK aren't used to cities on grid patterns. Our blocks north of Market are, I think, of "average" length. However, south of Market they are quite a bit longer.

Have a nice trip.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,569 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

Just be aware that BART may be on strike starting on Monday.

7. Re: Best way to get from Airport to Union Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 06, 2014