We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

Helo, im going to stay in an apartment in 449 0`farell street, im reading all this comments and im a little bit scared. We are three women in our early thirties and we want to enjoy the city at night in SF during our stay. Is this a saFe block? or would you recommend us to stay in another spot of the city?

as im not sure of our election i am searching for a new apartment to stay in, i have found another one in Bradway street/ buchanan street. But im not sure if it´s so well comunicated by public transport with the rest of the city. because i havent found any bus stop near by google maps. What would you recommend me?

Thank you!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

Looking at Google Street View I see it's located above a massage parlor and next to a residential hotel - Broadway and Buchannan would be better but further away from the "action"

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

Ok, thank you Sean im a little bit confused about this tenderloin thing... but i think that you are right its better be far away from the action...

The problem now is that there no much places availeable to stay in our dates... we are going to go in two weeks!!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

Can you still get out of the deal with the apartment? What is your budget?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

yes Sutter, the truth is that I can cancel the booking of the apartment at no cost, airbnb commission only, up to 5 days before booking. so I'm looking for another place to stay. Which part of the city would you recommend me to stay?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

Ola

Please read the Top Questions on the right side for a question on Vacation Rental and it has all the info you need to find something. Come back and let us know the exact location.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

449 O'Farrell is between Taylor and Jones -- only 1/2 block from the Hilton. But yes, there are at least two massage parlors on that block and one is on the street level of this building.

However, the building itself does not look bad. One problem is there is a sign attached to the building one level above the street which may light up at night. If the apartment you're renting is high up or, better yet, in the rear of the building you shouldn't be bothered by that or street noise.

If you are stuck with this location I think it's safe enough -- using big city street smarts of course. And when you leave the building, always turn right.

If you switch to Broadway and Buchanan it's a *very* nice area but you are right about the transit. It's 5 blocks to Van Ness on which 2 bus lines run. Three blocks to Union to catch the 45-Van Ness/Stockton which will take you to North Beach, Chinatown and Union Square. Or two blocks to Fillmore to get the 22-Fillmore to the Lower Haight and Castro and, in the other direction, the Marina.

However it is walking distance to Pacific Heights and Cow Hollow (although a steep walk back from Cow Hollow), both of which have a lot of shops and restaurants. Walking around in this area is very safe (again, big city street smarts in play).

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

Yes belomiser i have done it, but im not having luck. Nobody anwers my requests!

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

The idea of three young women staying at 449 O’Farrell is discomforting. I’ve walked along O’Farrell to Union Square often enough. Particularly in that block, I think it gets creepy.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

Dear OP you asked for other parts of SF to stay in. I mentioned that there is a top question about the neighborhoods which are great for Vacation rentals.

Please use www.airbnb.com and www.vrbo.com and www.flipkey.com for rentals. I am not sure what to say if no one is responding in any of those sites for your requests. That would be unusual

There are hotels for 5 people listed as well so that is one option

Edited: 2:32 pm, July 24, 2013
Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 449 O´farell street is it a safe place to stay?

http://bedbugregistry.com/location/CA/94102-2009/San-Francisco/449%20O'farrell%20St/

Google is your friend.