We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo compact v midsize

Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo compact v midsize

Hi Guys, myself and OH are visiting in August. We are planning on driving from San Francisco to Las Vegas via LA. We are looking a hiring a car with Alamo, but are unsure whether or not to select the compact size or midsize. It's just the two of us with a suitcase each. We drive a Hyundai i30 here in Ireland (if this helps!) Do you guys think the compact size is sufficient for the trip? Alamo only state one car OR similar, but I can't find the 'or similar' options, i would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this for me,

Thank you in advance

Gail

California
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Alamo compact v midsize

As stated, there isn't much difference in gas mileage between a compact and midsize car. I would definitely go with midsize, or maybe even bigger! The drive from S.F. to Vegas or L.A. to Vegas is not an easy one on a car. There are quite a few big inclines that a some small cars have a hard time with. Also, in August, it's going to be HOT! You're going to want a car that has no problem with that drive in that kind of heat! I would go with a bigger car. The more powerful the better!

12. Re: Alamo compact v midsize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 24, 2014