We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Los Angeles - Via Pacific Highway

Ludhiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
358 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Los Angeles - Via Pacific Highway

We are a couple , planning to travel from San Francisco to Los angeles via the pacific highway in Late august for a two day trip. Planning to stay overnight at Cambria.

My question is : I am planning to rent a car from SFO airport and i have not driven in the US ever. 1. How easy / difficult is for me to drive with the help of GPS navigation as i do not know the route. the car rented is an Automatic Ford Mustang.

2. Also we are planning to leave SFO early in the day at about 7.00 Am. what are the must stop points on the way to cambria where we would be staying overnight.

3. Is it advisable to see Hearst Caste in the Evening or Early morning next day ?

4. What are the must see points from Cambria to Los angeles where i would the returning the Car at LAX later in the night.

I would appreciate a little help/ suggestions as this will be my first ever self driving trip and i am a little anxious.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Los Angeles - Via Pacific Highway

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Rinkusondh

The GPS system can be a good tool, but it should not be relied on entirely. I've seen folks post their experiences with GPS that had them making unnecessary turns that actually would have taken them out of the way. Good thing you found this site, as those of us who hang out here can help you with your route down the coast, as well as your other questions.

1) The recommended route out of SFO to get over to the coast would be I-380 west to I-280 south to Highway 92 west toward Half Moon Bay, which ends at Highway 1. Left turn on to Highway 1 and that's your route all the way down to Cambria and then in to San Luis Obispo where you'll connect with Highway 101 the rest of the way to LA.

2) SFO to Cambria is approx. a 5 1/2 to 6 hour drive WITHOUT stops. With so much to see/do between the two it could turn into a 12-16 hour drive. This is why we recommend 2 overnight stops for the coast drive to do it justice. You'll have to decide which stops appeal to you the most and plan accordingly.

Some of the sights between SFO and Cambria:

Santa Cruz

Henry Cowell Redwoods

Monterey: Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row, Old Fisherman's Wharf

Carmel By The Sea: Carmel Beach, 17 Mile Drive (Pebble Beach/Lone Cypress Tree)

Bixby Bridge

Big Sur: Pfeiffer Falls Trail, Pfeiffer Beach, Nepenthe, McWay Falls @ Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park, Ragged Point, elephant seal rookery near Piedras Blancas

3) Make your Hearst rezzies for the next morning. You won't get there early enough on Day 1 for the last tour.

4) This part of the drive focuses less on scenery and more on the towns in between Cambria and LA.

Some of the sights between Cambria and LA:

Morro Bay

San Luis Obispo

Pismo/Avila beaches

Solvang

Santa Barbara

Mentioned in this post
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Solvang
Solvang
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,322 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Los Angeles - Via Pacific Highway

This is the SF forum for SF related things. Your info on the Highway 1 drive is in the Top questions on the Ca forum

Is there a reason to rent from SFO instead of SF or are you not seeing SF

Agree with Kibbllesmom But in the grand scheme of things you have 1s and 101s to La to deal with for the bulk of your trip

Edited: 9:59 am, July 21, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Ludhiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Los Angeles - Via Pacific Highway

Thanks kibbelsmom & belomiser.

Belomiser. :I am planning 5 days in San Francisco afterwards i am going to LA & then LV.

I am renting from SFO because I could not get a convertible from any other location nearby.

My hotel in SF is at Powell Street, if you have any suggestion to get a Convertible near that , it would be very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,322 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Los Angeles - Via Pacific Highway

Well hertz Avis budget are in Union square close to Powell so you may have to check with their websites for availability. Now the chances of getting a mustang to the or "similar option" are better at SFO

5. Re: San Francisco to Los Angeles - Via Pacific Highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 23, 2014