We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To pre-book a hotel or not

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
To pre-book a hotel or not

Husband and I are travelling to S.Francisco end of July and plan on travelling up the coast as far as three days and getting out walking will allow. This being the case, I can't decide on where to base our hotels (i'd prefer one hotel for three days but can't make up my mind). I've just had a thought that maybe we could just get in the car, drive, find a hotel and stay..... eeeek, something completely against my nature.

Do you think hotels, and there are an awful lot of them along the coast, will be ultra busy end of July? Has anyone else done this!!!

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To pre-book a hotel or not

July is a very busy time as it is one of the only months that the weather along the north coast is good, not to mention that schools are out and families are on vacation. Most hotels and motels will be sold out on weekends and possibly weekdays, too.

I would not even consider traveling on the coast without a reservation during this period. To be fair, there are some real dives that might have rooms if that is your style.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To pre-book a hotel or not

eek, thanks Boraxo, as name suggests, "dives" are definitely not my style. this happens to us all the time! Last time we visited LA we managed to do so on Memorial Weekend!

I'm going to book something now.

3. Re: To pre-book a hotel or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 13, 2009