We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Eats

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Cheap Eats

Looking for restaurant suggestions for this weekend in San Francisco. We have adults and teenagers in our group. Trying to find things that please the adults and kids, and want to stay away from the tourist traps. We're all fairly adventurous eaters. Staying at the Marriott Marquis on Mission St. Fisherman's Wharf will be one of our stops. Possibly Haight-Ashbury too.

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,408 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Eats

www.7x7.com/eat-drink/sfs-best-cheap-eats

http://www.sfgate.com/food/bargainbites/2012/

Tourist Trap ? Humm Stay away from food at FW except say Codmother fish or the empanada place

go to the ferry building and see the stalls. Try our food trucks (not cheap but good variety)

Try our tacos and sandwiches and pho and wraps and noodles and.....

Edited: 3:11 pm, July 11, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Eats

I reommend you try one or more of what's called the "neighborhoods." These are like Main Street in small towns or what is called the "High Steet" in the UK. You can find everything from shoe repair, green grocers, custom cut butchers, barbers to every kind of cafe and restaurant and specialty shop you can think of and probably a few you never imagined existed. You will be eating with the locals at local prices.

I recommend Clement Street for a number of reasons. It is very easy to get to by bus from where you are, it is a flat street so no hiking up and down, and it has an amazing array of restaurants and cafes from all around the world. I am sure others here have their favorite neighborhoods as well.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Eats

I agree with getting out to the neighborhoods.

Here's a thumbnail sketch of them: http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Eats

I personally cannot make specific recommendations but are not there multiple good and inexpensive restaurants in the Mission. I know I have never been disappointed there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Eats

If in the mood for a burger try In and Out in Fisherman's Wharf. I always enjoy the daily special at Tommy's Joynt.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Eats

If Tommy's Joynt, then also Lefty O'Doul's at Union Square. Resonably priced for the location. Good buffet of mostly healthy food (well pies,etc., but yummy) good selection of fresh roasted meats so everybody gets what they want and it's family friendly.

Edited: 4:39 pm, July 11, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Eats

I'd say Lefty O'Douls as well. Good value, hearty American food. Not particularly adventurous, but you will walk away full.

Also, Molinari's is the bomb. Awesome for lunch.

Edited: 9:59 pm, July 11, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Eats

For sure it will fill up teenagers and they won't be able to break the furniture. Make sure each person tips the meat carver a buck before ordering. That's just how it's done.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Eats

Molinari's for wine cured salami sandwiches when you visit North Beach. Again you will get full for cheap.

10. Re: Cheap Eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 13, 2014