We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
14 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

I've read that a convertible is the way to go when driving LA to San F. But I've also read that the locations I want to visit may be either cold and foggy or very hot. Without having a weather crystal ball, can anyone tell me if it makes sense to pay the extra money for a convertible in early August?

Thank yoyo!

Elaine

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,702 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

Not likely to be very hot, but fog is always a possibility. There is just no way to predict what the weather will be like at the time of your visit. Every day is different along the coast. One day we could have all day fog or marine layer and full sunshine the next.

A convertible is fine IF you travel lightly. Huge suitcases, bags, etc. will only fit with the top up and it isn't wise to travel with valuables in plain sight.

Boston...
Level Contributor
14 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

Thank you Kibblesmom! And I hadn't thought about trunk space.

Elaine

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

I admit I'm very fair ... but I don't get the attraction of being desiccated by the sun -- not to mention blown by the wind, dampened by the fog and dirtied from road dust.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,040 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

Much better in CA than Hawaii where this question is often asked. Besides the trunk space, the other thing to consider is your experience with convertible. We have rented convertibles and soft tops Jeeps in Hawaii and discovered we HATED it. Both in terms of the wind and noise and that is just too much sun. We have a car with a moonroof and that is enough for us.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

OK...dissenting opinion coming. I've owned more convertibles than I can count...mostly collector cars. And I have driven several of them down through BIg Sur. Driving my '73 Triumph TR6 and in particular my '65 Jaguar E-Type down that highway was a blast!

I will admit to some provisos:

I didn't drive those cars (and some others) from where I live to the Monterey Peninsula. They travelled on trailers.

I had to get up at the crack of early to avoid as much traffic as I could. Basically just after dawn.

Completely impracticle as it relates to luggage.

Loud, smelly, windy....yes.

Fun....absolutely!!!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

I've driven down Hwy 101 in a convertible and the only I got out of an 8 hour drive was a bad neck-buffeting and headache. And I must have been wearing sunscreen and a hat

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

I'd rent the convertible. Hwy 1 through Big Sur was made for driving a convertible :-) Just bring a jacket and turn the heater on if it gets too chilly. And pack light.

8. Re: August weather on the Pacific Coast Highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 13, 2014