We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with a view Need some idea please

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels with a view Need some idea please

Next year My sister and and I are hoping to take our Mother(Sept 2014 for 4 to 5 nights)

This most likely will be my Mums only trip to the States She has her heart set looking out the hotel window and seeing The golden Gate bridge or Alcatraz Island I doubt it but is it possible for under $500 a night but what is the best price for a hotel like that.

If not I guess I have to go to plan B

Which I'm thinking maybe union square (since from what I read to the right its a good base) and try and spend a lot less as long as its clean comfortable and would like a laundry if possible

also beside what I mentioned I pan on taking her to see The National Shrine of Saint Francis of Assisi maybe an Italian restaurant(maybe U.s restaurant) and Pier 39 to name a few

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

The Argonaut at FW will have views of the Bay and the bridge. Some of the hotels housed in tall buildings offer panoramic views. Fairmont, Marriott Marquis, Four Season, Mark Hopkins, Intercontinental, Regis, Mandarin, Westin St. Francis

Prices vary and yes the 5 star hotels may hit that price but others may be lower than that. It is a bit early to gauge 2014 pries or book this early but you may get something you want

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

While I liked almost everything about the Marriott Marquis, I did not think the views were its best feature. We went up to the lounge and walked around all sides. It is so far south that the views of the 2 bridges are quite distant, and if someone chooses the MM for the views of the bridges I think they will be disappointed.

Best view I ever had at a SF hotel was from the Fairmont, and I agree that anything up on Nob Hill would have great views.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

You could stay outside SF for views. m.cavallopoint.com/contemporary/index.html but most TA members recommend staying in SF for convenience. It depends on your travel style. But for killer views of rhe GGB, check out Cavello Point

Edited: 11:09 am, June 24, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

Sorry, typo. Cavallo Point tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33062-d1019362…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

The Fairmont does have great views. I've heard the Mandarin Oriental does as well. Both will be pricey but the Mandarin may be less so on weekends as it's located in the business district area.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

Someone was raving last week about the views they had from their high floor room at the Grand Hyatt.

if you choose either the Fairmont or the St. Francis, get a room in their newer tower, as high as possible. The Mandarin Oriental works because the entire hotel is on the higher floors of a building. I love the photo of the bathtub with a huge window overlooking the view.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

Very few hotels have the view of the GGB that you're looking for. Of those listed so far I think only the Fairmont, Mark Hopkins ?, Mandarin and Argonaut provide views of the GG Bridge and Alcatraz.

The Argonaut is in an old cannery and most of the rooms, although very nice, do not have windows that were built to take advantage of the view. So you would need to be very specific about which room you get at that hotel.

Sal pretty much summed it up.

Tower rooms at the Fairmont on Nob Hill or the Mandarin will probably get you the best views of the North Bay.

Cavallo Point will have the best view of the GGB. But it isn't in SF.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

Stayed at Mark Hopkins last December on a lower floor and the only view was of Mason Street descending towards the Tenderloin. You'd have to be pretty high up in the building and at the right angle to see the Golden Gate.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

grandhyattsanfrancisco.com/suites/bay-view-k…

mandarinoriental.com/sanfrancisco/…

tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g607…

tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g607…

Fairmont Ghiradelli Sq 0.tqn.com/d/honeymoons/1/0/r/j/1/05_2331.jpg

oyster.com/san-francisco/…

Mark Hopkins high floor …staticflickr.com/3290/2405131488_5e447d4877…

Edited: 2:03 pm, June 24, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels with a view Need some idea please

Some of it is the luck of the draw. Obviously not every room in any hotel has a view of the same place. All of the hotels listed have rooms facing various directions, at least as far as I know. As noted, the Golden Gate Bridge is further away from many hotels' views (if you want a GGB view, maybe Sausalito would be better, at least for one night). In some cases you can request a particular side of the hotel (e.g., at the Wyndham Parc, you can request a bay or city view) but that doesn't mean you're guaranteed you can see a particular site. I'd call some hotels. When we were at the Hilton Financial District, we had a very good view of the Coit Tower and San Francisco Bay, though don't think we could see the GGB or Alcatraz. Some hotels near the Embarcadero may offer views of the Bay Bridge (which has new lights, so may be quite something at night).

You will easily see the GGB and Alcatraz during your stay. If it's critical that you wake up with a specific view each day, you'll need to phone and see if there are any rooms where they can guarantee a view.

Edited: 2:46 pm, June 24, 2013