We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

Could someone tell us how to get to Nob Hill Inn from Amtrak on Labor Day. We know that Emoryville will not have buses running on Labor Day and so we are taking the bus provided by Amtrak into San Francisco but need to know which cable car to take from there to Nob Hill.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

If you take a cable car it will be the California Street one, but if you have luggage you do NOT want to try to get on a cable car. Best to take a taxi. It would not be very expensive.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

The Nob Hill Inn is located on Pine at Taylor.

I agree with Puter that if you have luggage I wouldn't recommend the cable car (there is a stiff step up). Furthermore from California to Pine is a pretty severe downhill along Taylor.

There is an Amtrak bus stop in front of the Hyatt Regency at California and Drumm where there is always a line of cabs. Cab fare will be less than cable car fare for two.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

sounds like we should take Amtrak's bus from Emeryville to SanFrancisco...just not sure where to disembark...we will havea backpack and carryon each...not a lot of luggage...other opinions on forums say taxis are expensive??

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

Pardon my second post, I tried to delete it...I appreciate the information you provided..quite helpful

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

the bay bridge is suppose to be closed for about 5 days during Labor Day weekend. with the new bridge opening on sept. 3rd. however, with the controversy we don't the know the status of this. i believe july 10th, gov. brown will have to decide if the bridge will open then. http://baybridgeinfo.org/

IF the bridge is closed, you will have to take BART in, exit at Embarcadero station, walk up and out of station, follow the others' directions. other choice would be to take transportation up to the north or south then travel to SF - about an hour either way.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

>>IF the bridge is closed, you will have to take BART in, ...<<

I would double-check this with Amtrak IF the bridge is closed... I suspect their buses will still run, but via an alternate route such as the San Mateo Bridge.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

If that bridge opens on Labor Day I will eat my hat. (But will never drive across it ever.)

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

Thanks Rachel...I'm glad you shared that important info....I've done quite a bit of research in an attempt to get a general idea of public transportation in the area (not finished yet!). It's interesting that I haven't run across this info anywhere online. Maybe we can take a ferry or swim? LOL

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

you are really welcome, trout. i was surprised no one else had mentioned it either. and thanks for informing us that it was not something readily found. when they do close that bridge from time to time for the construction they work with BART and they run all night, i believe. well, you actually could swim and/or take a ferry! speaking which, i think they would have to put more ferries into place for close of the bridge. what time are you arriving?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Amtrak to Nob Hill Inn on Labor Day

4pm..if the train is on schedule...we were hoping to drop our bags in our room so we could check out fisherman's wharf area....doesn't sound too promising now...we probably need to obtain lodging in a more convenient area (less hilly terrain). We are only staying in the San Francisco area the first night. We are spending a few days in Monterey and Big Sur.