We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
791 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

Just looking for suggestions for restaurants that are not tourist trap. I would love to have some good local fresh seafood, and just about anything else that is good and the locals frequent.

Just too many times when we travel we end up in the same places where every other tourist is. This time I said I am going to ask where the good food is!

Like I said, I would loove to try some local seafood,Crab Louis and anything else that san franciscans love to have!

BTW. What is a "Joes special"?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

Top Questions on the right side.

Romantic restaurants - where?

Where do I go for Seafood in SF?

Where should we go for Chinese food? How about DimSum? (Updated June 2013)

Stay away from Fisherman's wharf and you will be fine. Go to the neighborhoods - hayes valley, Marina, Fillmore, Mission, Noe, Castro and you will fine plenty of good eats.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,612 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

There are hundreds of good local restaurants, especially away from the tourist areas. It helps to narrow down by price, type, location, something. Hyde Street on Russian Hill has several -- Seven Hills, Frascati, also Pesce in Russian Hill on Polk Street. The Mission area also has lots of good restaurants, from taquerias to fine dining (Maverick, Range). You can also check out the SF Chronicle list of 100 Top Restaurants. Also check out the Top Questions on the right (not on a mobile device) for "Where do I go for Seafood in SF?" also "Where should we go for Chinese food?"

New Jersey
Level Contributor
791 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

Thanks

New Jersey
Level Contributor
791 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

Two adults and two teenage boys. Any cuisine as long as it's good and moderate price range.

Believe it or not I missed the column on the right! EST, Need to get some shut eye! LOL

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

Joe's Special is a combination of ground beef, spinach, and eggs. Sound good? It is "supposed" to be a SF specialty since the 1920's. Highly over-rated. I don't think many, if any, restaurants serve it, unless a SF'er knows better than I. I do not care for it. (Some variations may have a little cheese, I don't remember)

We are in the city often and one of our favorite restaurants, for your purpose, I think, is Fino, but this is in the Union Square area and you don't mention where you are staying. This is Northern Italian (NOT spaghetti and meatballs) and I think your boys would like the unusual pasta dishes as well as the rest. It also has a very nice atmosphere and good service and reasonable prices. Take a look and see what you think.

http://finoristorante.com/

A San Francisco tradition is Tadich Grill, established during the Gold Rush. Usually very busy. Do not expect great service but enjoy the atmosphere and the food. Not to put it down. Go.

http://www.tadichgrill.com/

I am trying to think of moderately priced, but GOOD restaurants which teens would enjoy as well as adults.

Belden Place is a traffic free street lined with restaurants, also in the Union Square area. You can just stroll down and look at the posted menus. Most of them have umbrella tables outside as well as indoor seating.

There, are, of course many, many restaurants of this category in the various neighborhoods. I am assuming you will be in the Union Square, Embarcadero, or even Fisherman's Wharf areas. But if you are willing to do come neighborhood jaunts the SFers can put you on to some great food.

There is always North Beach, and Chinatown. I will stop and let the natives come in.

Enjoy your stay in my favorite city.

Edited: 2:27 am, June 21, 2013
New Jersey
Level Contributor
791 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

Thank you for the suggestions.

We will be staying at the Hotel Rex on Sutter Street. I think that's Union Square"?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

The Rex is definitely Union Square.

Crab season runs approximately November - June (although there's not much left by May). So there is no fresh local crab around right now (for locals crab is popular at Christmas).

For good fresh fish, take a look at Sotto Mare. Although by now it's been "discovered" by tourists, it's still has excellent fresh seafood. Hayes Street Grill in Hayes Valley also has good seafood -- pricier than Sotto Mare however.

Close to Belden Alley is Claude Lane which includes Café Claude and Gitane.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

"Where locals go" is almost a cliche. You mean on a daily basis? People there, as in most places, don't necessarily go to fancy places except to splurge, but that doesn't necessarily make them tourist traps. And some places catering to visitors are quite good. The best seafood we had during our last visit was at the 750 Restaurant at the Hilton Financial District, where we were staying (wife had a conference there). Good, fresh, wild salmon, for example. The Old Tadich Grill, near the Embarcadero, is an SF institution that is known for seafood, especially calimari.

It would help if you mentioned the type of seafood you want, and your budget.

Edited: 9:46 am, June 21, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

If you truly want "local's restaurants," then I would say try & get out into the neighborhoods and away from the primary tourist areas (Union Square, FW, Embarcadero, Convention Center, Chinatown, maybe North Beach, etc.). In addition to the neighborhoods mentioned in prior responses, I'd also add: Inner/Outer Richmond, Inner/Outer Sunset, Cole Valley and maybe the Haight & Japantown (these last two have a higher "tourist factor"). That said, you will find locals in plenty of restaurants in all areas of the city (and you have had/will have some suggested in "downtown"), FW maybe the exception (well, other than when visiting friends drag them there).

For seafood, I'll second many of the above suggestions. My short list would include: Hayes Street Grill, Sotto Mare (finally ate there last trip), Tadich Grill, R&G Lounge (for Chinese seafood), and Pacific Cafe. This last one is Outer Richmond, so it takes some effort to get to, but this factor keeps it off the tourist radar (mentioning it as you specifically asked for local's places). I will add that it is fairly close to the Legion of Honor & Sutro Baths/Cliff House, etc. and not too far from Ocean Beach/west end of GG Park. So, if you're doing any of these things, it might not be too much out of your way.

Similarly, Inner Sunset, the Haight and Cole Valley (and somewhat the Richmond) aren't too far from the museums/east end of GG Park, so if that's on your list . . . .

Now I've avoided suggesting sushi places since I don't think people mean sushi when they say "seafood," but if you do, let us know and we'll pipe in with some good ones.

One thing you might do is to consider the things (if any) that'll you be doing that are outside of the downtown "triangle" (meaning SF north & east of Market Street & Van Ness) and then start looking for restaurants in those areas. I'm talking things like GG Park, Haight, Marina, GG Bridge, Legion of Honor, Castro, Japantown, etc. Doing this will put you into the "neighborhoods" which will reduce the tourist to local ratio pretty dramatically.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,331 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants that locals love and are not tourist traps?

Stay away from Fisherman's Wharf and any chain restaurant (Cheesecake Factory for example) and you should be safe. Union Square is full of tourists but there are also some very fine restaurants.