We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much to do not enough time

Peak District...
Level Contributor
131 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Too much to do not enough time

I'm planning our itinerary for our visit to San Francisco in August. We have 3 children 8,6&4. We arrive into SFO after flight from the UK, and are staying at fishermans wharf. that evening I suspect we will be shattered so will be quick dinner and bed.

So that leaves us 2 days in SF. I have been reading and reading throught the top questions and itineraries which are so very helpful but Ive realised we just dont have enough time here!

This is a list of what I would like to do if anyone can help me formulate a 2 day plan that would be great obviously I realise we cannot possibly fit everything in.

Pier 39

Exploratorium

fishermands wharf

boudin at the wharf

cable car ride

golden gate park (think this will have to go)

golden gate bridge

muir woods and sausalito (think this will have to go unless we can fit in on the morning we leave for yosemite)

alcatraz (really not sure on this is the kids are just too young?)

ferry building

coit tower

north beach

chinatown

Ghirardelli square

academy of science

Would I be best off getting a tour so we can see a few of these things and then going back to the ones we want?

Many thanks if you are able to help me sort out a plan. And a huge thank you for everyone who has contributed tot the top questions and reports they are very useful.

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,624 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much to do not enough time

Yes with just 2 days you may be better off with a tour on one day and doing the Museums on another. if you get in around 2 or so and are in FW, the best way to stay awake at least until dinner would be to do Pier 39 and Ghiradelli Sq. Wont' take you more than a few hours and trust me kids will be excited

Perhaps a half day tour with Dylan's may help cover all the main spots including Muir but I don't know how much a fun a 4 year old will have on a tour but they do the driving instead of you bustling the whole family around town.

You can then get off in Sausalito and take the Ferry back. Alcatraz with kids is a personal choice. Perhaps on that day you can do the Exploratorium. The next day you can do GG park and the Cal Academy and a few of the things you want to see again or have not covered.

Have you looked at doing a baseball game when in town -- SF Giants or Oakland A's if they are playing

Peak District...
Level Contributor
131 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much to do not enough time

Thank you that tour looks good. Finishing in Sausalito and catching the ferry back sounds good.

We land at 3pm so hope to be to hotel for 5pm, so we would then go out for dinner and have a look round the wharf area.

Thanks for the baseball idea too, my boy is adamant we have to catch a game somewhere so I'm looking at tickets for our LA stay against the mets. But I have just checked on stubhub and the giants play Milwaukee brewers that week so we could actually do either. Another decision! It may be preferable to travelling from dodger stadium to Santa Monica.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
131 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much to do not enough time

I've drafted out this itinerary.

Day 1

Am Dylan's tour

Ending in Sausalito and ferry back to pier 39.

Late afternoon & evening

pier 39 ghirardelli square fisherman's wharf

Day 2

Am Boat trip round the bay (instead of Alcatraz due to younger children)

Pm either exploratorium or GG park and academy of science

Late pm ferry building and cable car back to FW.

Does sound achievable? We'll need public transport on day 2 so will look at the muni tips now

Thanks

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much to do not enough time

I see younwill go to Yosemite from SF. Where will you pick up your hire car? Prices can vary tremendously, depending on where you pick up the car. You might want to check available options and ask for suggestions here.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
131 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too much to do not enough time

Getting the car from the convention center and then will need to get over to Oakland so am hoping the 80 not too difficult to get to

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Too much to do not enough time

Don't mean to confuse things for you, but...

If your son is adamant about seeing a baseball game, AT&T Park in SF is a WAY WAY WAY better experience for a kid (and for an adult) than Dodger stadium. It's a beautiful stadium with lots of activities geared toward children. If, on day one, there is an evening game, I'd suggest that over Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. If you are staying in Fisherman's Wharf, you are probably going to see enough of it just going in and out of your hotel...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,624 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too much to do not enough time

Yup agree with PP. just from the logistics perspective getting to dodgers stadium from Santa Monica will be a pain unless you drive in traffic In SF you can take the 30 or 45 MUNI from FW and get off at the park directly or take the F streetcar get off at Embarcadero and it is a nice walk to the park or take the T or N muni as an option. Both stadia will be crowded when you leave but you will still get back faster from AT&T

Besides that, SF Giants fans won't suggest people go to a LA game. Sorry my bias comes through. LOL

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too much to do not enough time

RE your re-drafted intinerary: sounds really good. But there isn't a cable car that goes from the Ferry Building to FW. Also, the Ferry Building will be boring for kids. It's just a lot of places to eat and shop. But they will definitely love the Exploratorium. Or the Academy of Sciences, for that matter. But the Exp. will be so much easier, transport-wise.

Have no fear, though, you have a great trip planned! You have narrowed your first round down admirably, indeed.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,624 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too much to do not enough time

Ferry Building Boring for kids -- Gelato, Gotts, Soft serve, Pizza, sausages, cakes, chocolate, Pork products in a cone, Salui, Oysters, cookies, cheese, pastries, burgers ? What do you mean by Boring for kids when the main reason to go to the Ferry building is to eat ? There are very few shops there. I don't think visitors go to the Ferry Building to check out Sur La Table.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
131 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too much to do not enough time

Thank you for the further help this has been so useful, I've amended day 2 slightly again

Am north beach coit tower exploratorium

Pm ferry building possibly union square and then to AT&T for the game. (Or basically any areas we want to spend more time in after the tour the day before) also want to be at game early to try these garlic fries and husband find the beers!

Not bothered if ferry building boring, they need to get used to that. Just going for some food.

I wish I could fit in GG park and academy of science but something had to go unfortunately.