We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

Hi. We're flying into San Francisco for a coupe of days before doing a 2wk driving hols, ending up at Vegas. We've hired a car already, but don't fancy paying over the odds for the sat nav hire and are thinking about just buying a cheap and cheerful one instead. As there doesn't seem to be a Walmart / Target close by, has anyone got any recommendations of where to pick one up? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

Do you have a GPS at home? Last year we hired a car for about 8 days and wanted a GPS. When I did the sums it was cheaper to buy the maps and put them on my TomTom than to hire one.

If you prefer to buy one and you have one at home, maybe try and get the same brand. Here's an old-ish post that might help: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k438…

Or perhaps try Best Buy: http://stores.bestbuy.com/187/

bestbuy.com/site/…

There are some for less than $100, no idea how good they are.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

There is a Target in SF now -- 4th and Mission. They have electronics but don't know about GPS.

sf
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

There's a Target at Tanforan Shopping Center in San Bruno, right near the airport, also a Best Buy electronics store. Just ask the car rental staff for direction out of their lot to the shopping center.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

I'd think the CityTarget in SoMa would be your best bet for an extra inexpensive model, but many of the big box office supply stores have some electronic items including a few GPS units. There is a Staples in the financial district at 300 California and an Office Depot just south of Market on 3rd Street which are somewhat conveniently located for places you may be near anyway.

The Best Buy will have a bigger selection but it's more out of the way. There is also a Costco if you have a Costco membership where you live already. I wouldn't buy a membership to buy a GPS and it is also somewhat out of the way on 10th Street, 5 blocks south of Market.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

So far, no 3 has the most practical advice. Get the GPS at at Best Buy at Tanforan, then use it to get to your hotel. Not sure why you would want a car in San Francisco, though. Where are you staying?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

Does your phone have apps? Most smartphones have gps, or google maps, no reason to buy a GPS anymore.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,625 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

Agree rent the car when you leave SF save some money and a lot of hassle

Well the cost of getting a US SIM card with data on a smartphone and using google maps may be as cost effective as a cheerful new GPS

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

Don't know what a cheerful GPS is. Mine seems glum all the time, turn left, turn right, go straight, and long stretches of silence, never saying good morning or how are you to me. But if you don't mind a cheerless GPS, the Target suggested from post #3 is the most practical.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

My Garmin Nuvi has the option of what voice you'd like to hear. We set it at " British woman" but the rest of us had to repeat her directions to my husband, who has a tin ear for British Woman. He accepted better directions from "American Man!" Results may vary. Nuvi couldn't pronounce our Spanish streets and cities worth a darn. Very amusing.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy a cheap & cheerful sat nav in/around San F

I would think that Radio Shack carries GPS devices.There's one at 652 Market Street.