We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the GG?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Walking the GG?

How long would it take my family of 5 (with a kid in a wheelchair) to walk from the nearest parking lot on the south end of the bridge to a good vantage point (the first tower?) and back again? Is this even doable? Is it a steep walk? We don't have plans to drive over the bridge in our short stay and I think the kids would enjoy this. Biking is not an option, I don't think my 7 year old would fit in a trailer.

Thanks again!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the GG?

There is a bit of an incline from the parking lot to the bridge sidewalk but it's not bad. I just did this a couple of days ago and we spent perhaps 30 minutes or so on the bridge -- with one person taking a lot of photos.

With 5 people and a wheelchair be very cognizant of your surroundings as there are a lot of people walking and biking on the bridge (in fact we were there on a Thursday afternoon and bikes were being told to use the west sidewalk which is unusual for a weekday). You will not be able to walk 5 across (in fact it's sometimes difficult to walk 2 abreast).

You might want to consider going early to be sure you get a space in the main parking lot. We had to use the overflow lot on the west side which is quite a bit further from the pedestrian sidewalk on the east side.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the GG?

here is a street view that you can adjust and rotate to see the area http://goo.gl/maps/Z297l

there will be more people on the sidewalk as Sal mentioned

Edited: 12:46 pm, May 25, 2013
3. Re: Walking the GG?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 27, 2014