We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best options for public transport and things to do

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
706 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Best options for public transport and things to do

I have trawled through many a post and penciled out some things I would like to do. I would appreciate feedback on my plans.

22 Dec -

Arrive in Union Square around 3pm

Drop off rental car on Mason St and walk to Hotel Stratford on Powell St

Buy 7 day muni visitor passport $28

Not sure what to do for the afternoon but thought wander Union Square and perhaps take a cable car ride down towards Fisherman's Wharf

23 Dec -

Alcatraz tour and Fisherman's Wharf

24 Dec -

Cable car museum, China Town and Ferry Building Market Place

25 Dec - would like to book in for a Christmas lunch somewhere. Not sure what else to do for the rest of the day. Thought about getting the bus out to Alamo Square but wondering if this will be problematic on a holiday??? Suggestions would be good. Might even spend some of this day relaxing after 4 weeks of traveling.

26 Dec -

Hop on Hop off bus tour Presidio, across Golden Gate Bridge and out to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf $27

27 Dec -

Leave for Monterey

Wondering if my itinerary is logical and would appreciate feedback.

Have considered doing the 48 hour hop on hop off on the 23rd/24th to see most of the city and then use a 3 day muni pass for rest of the stay and see Alcatraz on the 26th.

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
San Francisco Love Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Bus Tours, Night Tours
Local Tastes of the City Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Bus Tours, Food Tours
Edge of the World Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best options for public transport and things to do

Just a quick couple of comments. Generally think you can do more than you've got listed.

For example you've got a whole day for Alcatraz & Fisherman's Wharf. Theses certainly go together, but the FW part probably only needs an hour or two. That's enough time to walk it end to end (& back), check out the sea lions & views, etc. Might need more time if you do the Maritime Museum/old ships at Hyde Street Pier, but unless you do that (or really like cheap souviner shops) that's about all it takes.

Maybe more later,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best options for public transport and things to do

To be honest this itinerary isn't covering a lot of ground. I agree with hlo that you don't need to spend as much time at Fisherman's Wharf as you've planned.

As for Christmas Day, much will be closed but the Muni system will be running. While on a holiday schedule all lines (with the exception of commuter express runs) will be running. Here is a Traveler Article I wrote a few years ago based off some suggestions made for a traveler who was here on Thanksgiving and faced the same issue. This is a combination of walking and busing and will get you out of the downtown core:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c149407/San-Fr…

I think Chinatown is best seen of a walking tour. Free ones are given by City Guides on Mondays and Saturdays but there are others as well. If you can't schedule a walking tour I would strongly recommend finding a good guidebook to help you interpret the cultural history of the neighborhood.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
706 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best options for public transport and things to do

Thank you for that feedback. I will plan more on the 23rd. I could even do some swapping to try and get a Chinatown walking tour on that day since it is a Monday.

4. Re: Best options for public transport and things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 20, 2014