We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

My plans have changed and now I am looking to stay one night at Santa Rosa.

Our starting point is Emeryville and rent a car to a few wineries in Napa and overnight stay in Santa Rosa giving us another day to explore Sonoma and stop at some cheese factories and one more winery.

I have the option of returning to Emeryville the following day and returning the rental and again staying in the Four Points by Sheraton till we head to SFO for our midnight flight .We would be taking Bart from Emeryville to SFO.

The other option would be driving from our last stop at Vella Cheese to SFO and return the car there.

I want to avoid driving through SF if at all possible.

Is this a good plan?

Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

To avoid driving through SF if coming from Sonoma, you can take 580 from San Rafael to 80 and then either go to Emeryville or SFO via the Bay Bridge. .

I'm really not too clear about the Four Points option if you are heading to the airport for a midnight flight.

Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,272 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

The most direct route by car is through SF from Sonoma to SFO. Super has offered you a good option but you are crossing two bridges and will still go on SF freeways for a few miles to Get to SFO

I too don't understand the late night Emeryville option vs staying in Sonoma

Edited: 5:51 pm, May 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

Since the day would be a long one leaving Sonoma I have enough points to stay in Emeryville and return the car there , rest up , eat, shower whatever then leave the hotel around 9:30 to get Bart to SFO.

Itinerary is looking like this.. 3 nights in SFO but 4 full days of sightseeing. Overnight in Emeryville, rent car and drive to 3 wineries in Napa and end up in Santa Rosa, next day drive to cheese factory, brewery or winery- then head back to Emeryville to the same hotel we had stayed before renting the car and after sightseeing SF.

Take Bart to SFO thus avoiding the traffic to the airport.

Edited: 6:06 pm, May 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

Your plans are kind of strange, and by the way SFO is the airline code for the airport. But I don't understand your trip- you say 3 night in SF then staying in Emeryville, then travel to Napa to stay in Santa Rosa then return to Emeryville, then to SFO for a red eye. You're better off just leaving SF for Santa Rosa and stopping in at wineries on the way, I wouldn't stop in Napa, wine taste then drive to Santa Rosa on unfamiliar roads.

Are you staying in all of these places on POINTS?

Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

So, you are going to use points for a 3 or 4 hour stay in Emeryville. If that works for you it sounds like a plan.

If you do the Emeryville option, and will be driving during commute time (if a weekday), you might just want to come back through Napa and down I-80 instead of fighting the traffic across the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. I'm not sure what day of the week you will be driving.

Is the Emeryville hotel convenient to BART?

Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,272 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

SFI I think the OP is using Emeryville as her base to see SF and not staying in SF, but besides that I agree with you 100%.

To the OP -- What traffic are you looking to avoid at 9.30 at night from Emeryville to SFO ? If you have a car, why not just go to SFO by car from Emeryville or better still if you all this is to rest before a redeye why not find a similar hotel at SFO instead of this hop skip and jump.

It is your vacation so please do as you feel right

Edited: 7:03 pm, May 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

Ok let me explain this better.... We are staying in San Francisco for 3 nights Fri , Sat, Sun, then moving to Emeryville on Monday night - yes on points.. also the hotel in SF is with points but a different hotel line. Four Points Sheraton.

The first morning in Emeryville a Tuesday, we will rent a car and visit, Jarvis, Robert Mondavi and Castello di Amoroso then drive to Santa Rosa for the night- with points a Hilton this time.

From there on Wednesday we will visit Benziger, Vella and possibly Viansa then back to Emeryville to return the car.

Check in at Four Points to rest , shower, eat then get to MacArthur Bart station around 9:30 pm to head to SFO for our midnight flight.

So my original post is looking to see if it was better to drive back to Emeryville around 4pm rather than straight through SF to get to the airport. ( where I can also book a hotel there to rest, shower, whatever if need be)

Edited: 7:11 pm, May 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

Yes Super.. which way is better to return to Emeryville to avoid traffic.. probably leaving Sonoma area around 3pm.

Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

Wow I took a look at Jarvis, as I've never heard of them, $60 for a tour & Tasting p/p- that's crazy!!

Also the 3 wineries aren't close to each other, so I hope you're making reservations. .Robert Mondavi is usually packed for their tours which are either 30 or 60 min in length, even in Jan, when were there last. Castello di Amore also attracts large crowds, and is the closest to Santa Rosa.

Leave early with a plan, and be careful on e roads which are 2 lane in most places.

10. Re: Driving to SFO from Santa Rosa ? or Bart from Emeryville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:07 pm, May 16, 2013