We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sylicon Valley / Apple

Brazil
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sylicon Valley / Apple

Hello experts.

I love Apple products and I'm a Steve Job's fan.

I'll be in San Francisco for a week and I wish to visit Apple headquarters in Cupertino. I'm awared that I will not be allowed to enter in the building. However, I would like to go there anyway.

I had search about public transportation, but I realized that it takes too long to get there from San Francisco.

My question is: how hard is to drive from SF to Apple in Cupertino?? Too much traffic jam?? Does someone know a tour that takes tourists to there and to other companies in Sylicon Valley??

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,759 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

No tour. There may be a bus from a caltrain station. If you want to find one. But it is best to drive between say 10 and 4 from SF to Cupertino and back. The drive on 280 is lovely and you should not have any traffic

There is an Apple Company store that you can visit but other than that there is nothing much to do and see except the building and cars and Apple Engineers walking around between buildings.

Perhaps you can save yourself some time and energy and just visit an apple store in San Francisco, perhaps take a tutorial on a product here, and talk to apple store people about the products and check out the products on display. Much more rewarding and more fun than seeing the apple building imho

You can see the photo of the building here

applebitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Ap…

Edited: 3:44 pm, May 14, 2013
Brazil
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

kkkk, thanks, great advise!!!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,911 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

You can take a picture in front of the Apple company entrance. Driving would be the most convenient, probably takes about 45 min to an hr from SF. You can visit other tech companies (again, only taking photos at the entrances) if you drive.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,623 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

Are you only staying in SF? Are you going to Santa Cruz/Monterey/Carmel? If so, it makes more sense to stop off in at Apple HQ on your way there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

See www.apple.com/companystore/directions.html

The alternative is to stow away on an Apple bus in SF …streetsblog.org/2009/… Just look young, geeky, vaguely cool and have your face buried in an iPhone. A doctored employee ID would also help. The Apple bus (all white -- kinda sleek) also picks up at various undisclosed locations in the East Bay.

Note my tongue in cheek.

Edited: 4:06 pm, May 14, 2013
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

I agree with everything Belo said, but if you do plan to drive there it's easy. Take 280, exit DeAnza Blvd south (right turn off the freeway) The headquarters building is the first one on your left at, One Infinite Loop. There are a bunch of Apple buildings around there.

BTW - it's spelled "silicon"

Edited: 4:09 pm, May 14, 2013
Brazil
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

Thanks guys...I'll think it over....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

The Apple Store at the main office in Cupertino (on One Infinite Loop) is the only store that sells Apple-branded shirts, hats and other merchandise.

You need a valid Apple identification badge to use the Apple-sponsored coaches that run from San Francisco to Cupertino. The white buses are Google buses. Apple buses are silver.

The drive is not hard, but there may be traffic depending on when you go. Highway 280 is much more scenic and will have less traffic. Go south on 280, get off at DeAnza Blvd. (the next exit past the intersection of Highway 85), turn right and look for the four story building on the left.

Honestly, you wouldn't see much even if you were able to get in as a guest. The "good" stuff is securely hidden behind locked doors, and the rest of it looks like any other Silicon Valley company. The cafeteria is quite good, though.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

You might want to thiink about other things you're interested in seeing or doing in Silicon Valley and combining them into one car trip. If you are only in the Bay Area for a few days, it's a long drive to go to Cupertino only to see the Apple building.

Other possible places of interest in Silicon Valley are the Tech Museum (tech, obviously), Rosicrucian Museum (Egyptian antiquities). and Winchester House (historic mansion of the heiress to the Winchester firearms fortune, an eccentric place that some people believe is haunted, some people love, and some people say is an overrated tourist trap - probably a combination). Those are in San Jose.

If you have any interest in mining, the New Almaden Quicksilver County Park is on the west side of San Jose. It was one of the world's richest mercury mines in the 19th century. Today it has numerous historic buildings, mine remains that can be seen, and beautiful hikes.

Or if you're into outlet shopping and will have a car, combined Cupertino with a visit to the outlet malls in GIlroy, the most extensive ones conveniently close to San Francisco.

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sylicon Valley / Apple

The drive to Cupertino on 280 is scenic and lovely. But, it's about an hour each way. I agree with the idea of combining the trip with a visit to some the above mentioned places in San Jose.

A trip including Carmel and Monterey would be best as an overnight side trip. Yes, you could go from SF to Cupertino to the Carmel area in one day but it would mean that you would spend almost all of your time driving.