We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

Hello, My partner and I are staying in San Francisco for 1 week and for our second week are considering a drive up to Portland Oregan. I wanted to know if this is enough time and also some of the best places to stop on the way? I was hoping to go to the Redwoods National Park but is there anywhere else that we should not miss? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

Do you have a week for the drive to Portland?

For info about the section of the drive that is on the Oregon coast, post on that forum. For this section, you could easily enjoy a leisurely drive up the Northern California coast and a day among the Coastal Redwoods.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

There is one top question on a Northern Ca itinerary in the California forum. What do you want to do and see. Wine country. Point Reyes, bodega bay, Mendocino, Humboldt State park, ave of the Giants, Redwood NP

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

1 night Healdsburg (wine country)

1 night Mendocino (coast)

1 night Garberville (redwoods)

1 night Rogue River (Tu'tu'tun Lodge is beautiful... if you have time, take the jet boat tour)

1 night Newport, Or

You could spend the extra 2 nights as addtional time in Garberville and Rogue River, or outside Portland along the Columbia River, or even take the Oregon Coast a little slower and make more stops.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

Thank you for the advice, i will be sure to look up these places. We have approximately 1 week (could be a day or 2 longer) to include a stay in Portland also.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

Hmmm, I would not suggest Garberville unless you simply can notdrive farther . . . there are several other towns which are more scenic and closer to Redwood National Park. Look at: Ferndale or Trinidad, or perhaps Eureka itself, or even Scotia to the south. McKinleyville isn't spectacular but is closer and has a nice Holiday Inn Express. Klamath has *very* limited lodging but you might look at Requa Inn B&B.

Tu Tu Tun is inland about 8 miles, so not on the ocean :-(

"Rogue River" is actually a town inland, located on I-5, not on the coast!

The town where the Rogue River meets the sea is Gold Beach.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

Thank you for clarifying, half-Brit... I was using some of the names incorrectly which would be confusing to the OP. I do like Garberville for its closeness to The Avenue of the Giants, rather than Redwood National Park. And TuTuTun is in such a beautiful setting (on the river) that I forgive it for not being on the ocean. ;)

For ourselves, I only like to plan 3-4 hours driving in a day, since that allows time for all the distractions along the way -- scenic gondola through the trees, drive-through trees, dune buggy rides, etc.

If the one week includes the time in Portland, though, this itinerary needs to be cut in half (or even by two-thirds). Maybe 3 nights enroute and 4 nights in Portland (or reverse).

7. Re: Drive from San Francisco to Portland in 1 week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 25, 2014