We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked at Last

Victoria BC
6 posts
Save Topic
Booked at Last

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the great sugestions on where to stay in San Fransisco. I am coming on August 19th for a week and I can't wait. I finally got booked at a Hotel on Union Square called the "Handlery"

Anyone know it.? A friend went and she said it was nice...

I am planning a trip tp Alcatraz and I would like to do some more sightseeing so any sugestions would be great. I don't mind walking but I am bringing my mum so walking, and using the tram, would be best. I would aslo love to have info on inexpensive but good restaurants in the area. I am on a budget because my work may be on strike when I get back to Canada...Just what I need after a vacation...

Thanks

Carol

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked at Last

For budget try Lefty O'Doul's, across the street from the side entrance to the St. Francis--can't remember the street address.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked at Last

Here is a site that lists low-priced restaurants:

http://www.sfgate.com/food/bargains/

I've been to Ti Couz and can recommend it. I wouldn't go to Zeitgeist; it's primarily a bar.

In general, prices at Chinese restaurants are reasonable. And you can save money by having your big meal at noon (at lunch prices, which are lower than the same items for dinner) and something lighter at dinnertime. Prices are generally lower in outlying neighborhoods than in the Union Square area.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked at Last

You will be fine at the Handlery. The hotel's own restaurant can be inexpensive. Ask at the hotel desk for other optionsl

Palm Harbor, Florida
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked at Last

I just returned from my first visit to San Fran and loved it. What a beautiful city. We stayed at the Omni on California street. One word of warning though, get a transit pass good for the cable cars, buses and trolleys. The hills will kill you if your not used to alot of uphill walking. California street up to Jones at the top of the hill seemed like Mt. Everest. The passes can be purchased at Market and Powell. A 7 day pass was about 24 dollars. Also, while we were there they had "clean air" days and all public transportation was free. Have a great time.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
667 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked at Last

About the "clean air" days. So sorry but only six days were budgeted to have free public transport. The summer has been so hot that we blew right through those six days by the end of last week. Still, in SF itself, it is highly recommended to use public transportation to get around - that's what the locals do!

6. Re: Booked at Last

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 15, 2009