We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Fisherman's Wharf

Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Fisherman's Wharf

I will be arriving at SFO around 11 am on a Sunday, June 11 and have about 3 hours to actually spend in the city. I want to have lunch at Fisherman's wharf and would love to ride a cable car. What is the best way to get to the wharf from the airport and how easy is it to incorporate the cable car ride into it? Thanks!!

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Fisherman's Wharf

Since you only have three hours, I would recommend taking a cab from SFO to the foot of California St. at Market. There is usually no waiting line or it is very short. Ride the cable car to the top of the hill then grab a cab to the wharf, a 5 minute ride if the lights are right. Spend your remaining time taking in the sights and sounds at the Wharf then grab a cab back to the airport. You could attempt public transport but with a 3 hour timeline I would stick with cabs.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Fisherman's Wharf

You may have to rethink this one. It will take you about 40 minutes and $40 to get to the city by cab. Same time and money back. More if there is a Giants game that day. The cable cars have long lines. The only thing that might work is to take a cab to the Ferry Building. Take the California line (no waiting on this line) $5 each way. If you have time eat at the Ferry Building or grab something to go from the many choices available there. It too will be crowded since they do the Farmer's Market on Sat.

Bottom line is, maybe come back for a stay later. The airport is several miles away from the city itself. 3 hours is really not enough time for lunch and cable car and travel.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Fisherman's Wharf

I really don't know that you have enough time --your travel time round trip from SFO to the City will be a *least* an hour, possibly a bit more, not to mention that your transportation into the City is going to be close to $100 round trip once you factor in gratuities as well.

If you are willing to pay the above, I second the recommend of going to the Ferry Building and catching the California St. cable car. The other line (Powell St.) is a complete mob scene with people and lines are quite long and frankly, you just don't have the time.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Fisherman's Wharf

Three hours is not enough time . You have to go thru security for your next flight. Allow at least 1 hour each way on a Sunday or even longer if there are any events in the area. I would not do it.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Fisherman's Wharf

SFO is a big terminal. There are some small art, history, and natural history exhibits scattered throughout the terminals to browse:

http://www.sfoarts.org/

The food is best at the International Terminal area, I think...

If you get really bored, the Tanforan Shopping Center with its food court, is close enough for a quick foray, (South San Francisco BART stop, see www.bart.gov) but I worry about your next flight and the time necessary to go through security.

6. Re: Getting to Fisherman's Wharf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 15, 2009