We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese (cantonese)restaurant recommendations

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese (cantonese)restaurant recommendations

Can anyone recommend a chinese, preferably cantonese, restaurant for dinner for a family with teens. We are staying at union square. Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese (cantonese)restaurant recommendations

If you want DimSum then a great place is Yank Sing at the Rincon center is great. Great Eastern is another option. New place called MY china is good as well. HLO who is a regular on this forum has his fav and I am sure he will be by

Oh R&G Lounge as well. Please go to www.yelp.com for reviews

Edited: 6:13 pm, April 11, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese (cantonese)restaurant recommendations

R&G Lounge if you want seafood, otherwise Great Eastern is my family's standby for Cantonese in Chinatown. They do a pretty good version of honey walnut prawns.

Belo, have you been to MY China? I thought it wasn't bad, but some dishes really pricey though- I think we paid $16 for a plate of plain old garlic pea sprouts. Good location for tourists though, being in the Westfield Mall. It's even pricier, but I'd be more inclined to try Hakkasan over MY China.

Edited: 6:24 pm, April 11, 2013
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,538 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese (cantonese)restaurant recommendations

R&G Lounge is our go to place in or near Chinatown for Cantonese dinner. Be sure to make a reservation.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese (cantonese)restaurant recommendations

I would not go to MY China for dimsum but for their noodles were good. For folks who are visiting and have not seen a noodle show, it is a good place to go there, and order and not feel out of place. there are plenty of restaurants in SF where someone who does not know much about Chinese food would feel helpless LOL

I have yet to go to Hakkasan here. went to the one in NY -- it was ok. Have you been to the one here ? How was it ? Yes MY is pricey. Some friends went and said it was good but the bar and atmosphere was great.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,973 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese (cantonese)restaurant recommendations

We had a wonderful dinner at Great Eastern and my teen would love their food. Right next door is Z&Y Restaurant that looked good as well, but I think it had more spicy Szechuan, we'll try that next time.

6. Re: Chinese (cantonese)restaurant recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 13, 2014