We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
564 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

4 days in SF with husband, 15 year old daughter and 11 year old son. I know SF is very much a walking city, but I have an 11 year old who complains if he has to walk 800 meters to school. So hoping to not overdo the walking each day. We are staying at The Donatello in Union Square...PLEASE switch my ideas if it means it flows better!!!

DAY 1: Arrive midday. Lunch, catch cable car to Lombard St, walk to Ghiradelli Square, Walk along embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, catch bus to Coit Tower, walk down Filbert Steps and back to hotel. Have a feeling I should change the order of this??????? (Especially considering we are doing Alcatraz tomorrow and can do FW and Pier 39 then) Could I go from Lombard straight to Coit Tower instead?

DAY 2: Head to FW and Pier 39 for Alcatraz tour @11am....After Alcatraz go to Ferry Building. Catch California St cable car to Nob Hill and walk to Union Square?????

DAY 3: I plan to walk over the GGB probably with my daughter and the boys will likely bike ride to Sausalito . We will enjoy time here and then we will ferry back. Spend some time shopping and I would like go the North Beach for dinner. is that easy enough to get to?

DAY 4: Pick up car and visit the painted ladies before heading to Monterey.....

Would like to visit Chinatown too, particularly the fortune cookie place. Would that fit in somewhere?

Ferry Building Marketplace
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Shopping Malls,
Treasure Fest
Flea & Street Markets,
Heart of the City Farmers' Market
Farmers Markets, Flea & Street Markets
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,151 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

Day 1: Arrive midday. Lunch, catch cable car to Lombard St, walk to Coit Tower, walk down Filbert Steps and back to hotel. Alternatively, skip the Filbert steps, return to Columbus Avenue in North Beach, then walk through Chinatown on Stockton Street, visiting the fortune cookie factory on Ross Alley.

Day 2: Head to FW and Pier 33 (NOT Pier 39) for Alcatraz tour @11am....After Alcatraz walk along Embarcadero to Ferry Building. Catch California St cable car to Nob Hill and walk to Union Square. You can get off the cable car at Grant Avenue and walk a couple of blocks through Chinatown instead, if you want, along the way to Union Square.

Day 3: Dinner in North Beach is easy. Good choices would include Sotto Mare for seafood, Ideale for Italian (Roman).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

If we returned to our hotel after Coit Tower and Filbert steps is there transport close by? If so, what would we catch?

Also if we went to North Beach for dinner from our hotel what is the easiest mode of transport to get there? Thanks....

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

From the bottom on the steps walk to the Embarcadero and catch the F-Market & Wharves trolley to Market and Powell and walk to the Donatello from there.

To North Beach from Union Square: catch the Powell/Mason cable car, get off when the car swings onto Columbus (Lombard) and walk back up Columbus. Or catch the 30-Stockton or 45-Van Ness/Stockton bus on Stockton at Sutter (at the tunnel) and get off at Washington Square (Columbus and Union).

Susan's redo above is fine but it does leave off Ghirardelli Square and, perhaps of more interest, the Maritime Museum at the Hyde Street Pier. You can walk out on the pier and see lots of old ships. No charge unless you want to get on and tour the ships.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

Thank you RamblinSal...I need to get myself a good map because until then it is hard for me to visualise....Would Ghirardelli Square work after leaving Coit Tower on day 1?

Also do many people walk over the GGB or do they really only bike ride? I am walking everyday to get fit and so would like to walk over the bridge?

Edited: 10:52 am, April 08, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

Google Maps can help. Ghirardelli Square is just down the hill from the crooked part of Lombard Street and a mile or more away from Coit Tower.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,661 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

Many, many people walk over the Golden Gate Bridge. You certainly won't be alone ! Enjoy.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

Sorry I was editing my post and Puter ducked in on me.

There will be lots of people on the bridge sidewalks, both walking and cycling. On weekends cyclists are to use the east sidewalk to separate the two groups. It's certainly feasible to walk from Fisherman's Wharf to Sausalito but it is 7-8 miles so leave plenty of time.

8. Re: Need a little help to co-ordinate days please.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 10, 2014