We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Vertigo - neighbourhood?

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Vertigo - neighbourhood?

Originally when I was first researching San Francisco I REALLY wanted to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area - still do, but it is just too expensive for us, we can't afford to spend over $250 a night for a budget hotel.

My travel agent has found "hotel vertigo" and i've checked it out on TA and the reviews are great, it is going to be $750 for 4 nights but i'm wondering what kind of neighbourhood it is in and as we don't have a car how easy it will be for us to get to Fisherman's Wharf to shop/eat and also catch ferry to Alcatraz. We also want to take a hop-on-off tour and see the Bridge (of course!)

any comments?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Hotel Vertigo - neighbourhood?

Both are Union Square "area." The Warwick is closer than the Mayflower but not by much. Neither are exactly walking distance to FW (mostly due to the high hill separating them).

I'd say the Warwick is a star above the Mayflower but we've never heard anything horrible about the Mayflower here ... it's a perfectly acceptable budget hotel. I'd bet you can find something to spend the $270 difference on.

However, if the furnishings are important to you, as you mentioned in a previous post, then take a careful look at the Mayflower site.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,976 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Hotel Vertigo - neighbourhood?

Yes, for furnishings the two hotels are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. While the Warwick may look a little Victorian with its half canopy beds and window draperies and upholstered chairs, the Mayflower is pretty bare bones.

But $270 is $270.

Edited: 12:22 am, April 09, 2013
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Hotel Vertigo - neighbourhood?

We are staying at the Mayflower for one night in June we only needed a place for one night we head out to Maui the next morning so wanted something cheap. It looks ok to me but we are ok with budget places and older furnishings as long as the place is clean and in a decent location.

We are staying 4 nights at the Columbus Motor Inn on the way back home it would be perfect for what you want too bad it is so high in September.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Hotel Vertigo - neighbourhood?

Hotel Vertigo actually looks kind of cool. Reminds me of something one would find in NYC. While it's a short walk to Union Square - it's just down the street from Fleur de Lys - one of our institution restaurants. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there based on the hotel website.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Vertigo
Hotel Vertigo
1,479 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
35. Re: Hotel Vertigo - neighbourhood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 11, 2014