We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Overland Park...
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

I am completely overwhelmed with the various hotels and reviews of them in San Fran. My husband and I are coming in 6/2-4 and we have reservations at the Argent and the Chancellor because I'm so indecisive this trip! I'm a light sleeper so the location of the Chancellor worries me a bit. Both of us are really more contemporary than old-style, unless wine and cheese and/or breakfast are involved! We are more interested in the museums and maybe a good tour than shopping. Where to stay?!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

The Chancellor gets rave reviews on this site. From what I know, if you ask for a quiet room towards the back of the hotel, noise is not nearly as bad as if you stay at the front of the hotel on the cable car line. You should also ask the hotel to put you in a room that is not located next to an adjoining room as then you may get noise from your neighbors.

The Argent is an okay hotel, however, the reviews are not all that great for a hotel that is billed as a 4 star. I would expect more from them.

Here is the thing, the Argent may be more to your liking if you want something that is newer. The Chancellor, while it gets rave reviews and is well maintained, is not a new hotel and it is not modern. If you feel that a smaller room, though very clean, with older decor is an issue then you need to reconsider your hotel choice. If that is not something that will bother you, by all means go for it.

If you want a newer, modern hotels, check out the Hotel Vitale at the Embaracdero and the Clift Hotel near Union Square. Both those will definitely fit the modern/contemporary style.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Saks offers a great response. I will put it this way...

If you were going to spend the day drving around and had a choice of a perfect condition Ford Model T or a 1990's Ford Mustang, which would you choose?

If you would choose the Mustang, go for the Argent or other suggestions. If the experience of a Model T would be enjoyable, keeping in mind it was in great condition but built many years ago, go for the Chancellor.

Overland Park...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Thank you so much Wes and Saks--very helpful advice and quick too! I'll check into those other places you suggest and probably skip the Chancellor. Will report back after 6/4 what the outcome was.

4. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 14, 2009