We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fransisco to Las Vegas

3 posts
Save Topic
San Fransisco to Las Vegas

We're visiting San Francisco at the beginning of April and from there are driving to Las Vegas. It's a pretty long journey so we'll probably be making a few stops and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any places to visit along the way? Thanks!

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fransisco to Las Vegas

How long do you want the list to be? If you let me know how long you've allowed for the journey I would certainly be able to help you.

Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fransisco to Las Vegas

I'm a tour guide and we do this route all the time. We leave SF and go to Monterey. Then to visit Hearst Castle with a stop in Solvang. Then LA to Vegas. You can stop somewhere besides Solvang but its a cute town. Driving down the coast is a nice way. I suppose you could also go through Yosemite and over to Vegas if your in a hurry but the coast is a nice trip.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fransisco to Las Vegas

There are 2 nice routes that will get you to Vegas:

1) The coastal route, which was suggested in the previous post by davidgmg.

2) The "National Park Route", which will take you through Yosemite NP, Sequoia / Kings Canyon NP, and eventually Death Valley NP (April is a great month to visit, as it is not too hot!). This route involves a lot of navigation as you will have to travel South (as opposed to East) through Yosemite and Sequoia / Kings Canyon until you get down to the Lake Isabella region. Because you are visiting in early April, you cannot travel directly (East) over any of the Sierra Nevada Passes due to the snow. Once you get to Lake Isabella, you will head East / Northeast until you get to Death Valley. It will take you 4 days to get to Las Vegas if you take this route, but if you are into nature and you have the time, this is a beautiful route to take. Yosemite alone is worth the trip...the waterfalls should be going strong after all the rain/ snow we've gotten this year so far.

The coastal route is obviously different, but equally stunning. Also, it can be done in 3 days, as opposed to 4.

You really can't lose by taking either route.