We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Rochester
10 posts
Save Topic
Safety

We are traveling to San Francisco soon. Friends were telling us that they heard there is a lot of crime there. Is it safe to walk in the touristy parts at night? We will be staying at the Hotel Nikko, corner of Mason and O'Farrell which I know borders the "Tenderloin". Is it safe to walk back to our hotel at night, before 11 pm, but we definitely will be coming back after dark. Opinions please?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,524 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

A lot of crime ? really ? Friends tells us that NY has a lot of crime as well. The question is what do we believe and what is fiction.

Yes it is safe to walk in the touristy areas. Yes it is OK to walk in the tenderloin during the day. Panhandlers do not equate to Crime. there are many in the area. Also the tenderloin at night is more sleazy than say dangerous. Use common sense, be street smart and you can walk around the Nikko as you will see a lot of people in that area at night

It is a fair question to ask given you are getting advise from friends but frankly I would focus my energy on what to see and what to do

Edited: 1:36 pm, March 27, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

You should search this topic on the forum. It has been asked a lot and there are some really good answers that have been posted.

That said, in my opinion, the touristy areas are very safe. I feel perfectly fine walking around Union Square and anywhere else there are other people walking around in touristy areas at night. Again, if you search this topic, you will see the caveats and suggestions relating to it being very safe.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Every big city in North America has it's share of crime. Both Rochester and SF are no exception. I always enjoy comparing crime stats of cities for relative risk...... take a look at this data.....

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=San+Francisco&s1=CA&c2=Rochester&s2=NY

Dr. Z

Sorry...looks like you need to copy and post to your browser....

Edited: 1:52 pm, March 27, 2013
Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

San Francisco is quite safe.

Heaven forbid anything might happen to a visitor. Of course, even in San Francisco, a modicum of street smarts just makes sense. You don’t want to walk along a street swinging a purse [sounds funny, but I’ve seen it].

I, a male, personally carry cash, etc. in front pants pockets. I have a very thin wallet that fits obscurely in a front pocket just for credit cards and ID. I simply never carry bills larger than $20 and keep a separate roll of them in the wallet pocket with small bills and change in the opposite [for me, always the right]. So if I need to reach for ordinary small cash, as I’d most likely be doing on the street or crowded by others, I’m only revealing and exposing the small amounts.

It doesn’t hurt to have just the slightest awareness of environment. If approached by a street person such as a panhandler, simply say a polite “sorry” – don’t let yourself get engaged. Don’t really make eye contact, and please don’t be rude or nasty, it’s not nice and will get you involved.

I wouldn’t give a second’s thought to the Nikko’s proximity to the edge of the Tenderloin. It’s not something you can catch – well actually I suppose there are lots of communicable things accessible in the Tenderloin – but you’ll be avoiding them. Were you to walk to simply through the Tenderloin, odds are like tens of thousands to one anything horrifying would happen. You might see some disgusting grime and suspect – with reason – also sorts of dubious things about people, but odds of actually being mugged, accosted, or harmed are low.

The Tenderloin a bit west of your hotel near Market Street is about as bad as the Tenderloin gets. Market Street between Fifth Street and Seventh Street is pretty grimy. Sixth Street between Market and Folsom, in the South of Market area is pretty bad. All these areas are contiguous and in aggregate quite confined and small. The area around the 16th Street BART station on Mission is nasty. None of these areas are breathtakingly dangerous, there just bad. They are such a miniscule part of the city.

I, personally, have walked through these, the worst areas, all alone, late at night and do not believe I was in particular danger. I’d move briskly and keep eyes open, even known to walk in the street rather than hugging darkened doorways, so it’s isn’t like I think it’s danger-free, but it’s not that bad. For sure, not everyone thinks my idea of normal is normal, whatever, I’m soon to be 72 and still alive.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,524 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Well Happy Birthday in Advance :-)

Rochester
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

good, that makes me feel better. actually I went on , among other sites, Spotcrime.com. take a look. its unreal. I just don't see how it can be right but others sites show the same stats.

sf
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

Vic I saw ypur other post and really have to laugh, and ask the question "Do you live in a gated community, and or travel much?" You really seem paranoid, don't let the street people bother you or the Young Punks asking for change in the Haight. I've walked these streets all of my life, and as others have said if you have a little street smarts you'll avoid problems.

Stop worrying and enjoy the scenery.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,600 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

I just checked out that spotcrime site for downtown SF, showing the day of 3/21/13 - that was the default date that came up. Sure, a lot went on, but that really doesn't seem like a lot of crime considering this is a high density area in a large city. A few thefts, a couple of robberies, a bunch of arrests - the only thing that seems at all alarming is the assaults, but when you look at the details, most are listed as "fight-no weapons" so some sort of pushing and shoving incident, maybe an actual fist fight - these kinds of things are usually domestic issues or something between people who know each other. It is pretty uncommon for someone to get into a fight with a random person on the street. So really, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rochester
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

thanks moon for not making me feel like an idiot. . sfnativ, I travel all the time and grew up in the city. I actually stumbled across that spotcrime.com but when I looked I was shocked.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

I'm not an expert, but I think you're staying on the better side of Market Street. We're staying at the Parc 55 Wyndham hotel, just a few blocks from your hotel, for 5 nights in June, while my wife attends a big conference in the Moscone Center, and will likely be walking in the evening. As noted, you need to use street smarts, not carry more money tha you can afford to lose, etc., but I personally don't feel terribly worried in most parts of central SF (we're not usually out late enough to be walking on deserted streets).

Edited: 3:49 pm, March 27, 2013