We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hilton property in SF?

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
919 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hilton property in SF?

Hi All,

Will be spending a couple of days in SF (broken up by a quick stay up North 1 evening) later this summer. I have some HIlton Honors points that I'd like to use up, and I can't decide which of the 3 Hilton properties to stay in:

Hilton Union Square

Hilton Fisherman's Wharf

Hilton Financial District

about me - solo traveler, mid 20s, first time in SF. Just want to see the sights, nightlife, etc. All 3 hotels will cost me the same # of points so that won't be an issue.

I'll likely be spending a Friday and a Sunday night there, so I could potentially book 2 separate hotels. Any one of those 3 I should definitely avoid? Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

I don't think any should be avoided. If it were me, since you are staying 2 seperate times, I would do one night in Union Square and one at the Fisherman's Wharf. I would focus on the sites and things I want to do that are in Union Square when I am staying there and Fisherman's Wharf when I am staying in that area. The Financial District Hilton is fine and has some nice views, but the location is not as well suited for a tourist in my opinion.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,210 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

The union square one is a huge convention crowd focused hotel. I think the Financial one is better, yes the location is not in Union square but you are across from Chinatown and close to North beach Check the reviews out please

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

The Union Square one has a nice pool and balconies. It is businessy, but I like those tower balcony rooms.

Rochester
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

The hotel I'm looking at is near Hilton Union Square. What about safety due to the fact that it is so close to tenderloin? San Fran has like 100 crimes a day according to the police reports.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

When you leave the hotel just go east. I've never felt uncomfortable or hassled. The one and only time I ever felt that way wasn't downtown at all, it was out in Haight/Ashbury. That freaked me out.

Rochester
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

i'll just keep my wits about me. i know Haight/Ash can get a bit sketchy but we're still going. i have to see it. when i was researching this crime issue i called the tenderloin police station. an officer told me that the Hilton union square , which is near the hotel we're looking at, has a police officer out front every evening.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,210 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

Vic V. Please take this the right way. You have your own post here which we have replied, Clearly that is not enough info for you. When we go on a vacation we go to enjoy and not worry about all the issues. But since this city scares you for some reason, which most would think is unfounded. perhaps you can find another city or state or country which is in your mind, is much safer.

Have a great visit to whichever city or country you go to.

sf
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

Agree with Belo!! Vic you sound incredibly paranoid! Union Sq has a police presence mainly to insure and reassure tourists that they are safe and also because it is the Center of a major shopping district with some very high end retail.

if theres any place I'd feel safe its there.

Rochester
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

belomiser, as I said I will just keep my wits about me. its never a bad thing to be informed and that is why I asked about the area. I prefer walking to cabs, although maybe not up the hills! as far as the Hilton, just sharing what I have heard, since the original post asked about the 3 Hilton properties.

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
919 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hilton property in SF?

I've grown up in a pretty gritty city, and I've spent time in some pretty seedy areas internationally. I think that unless the Union Sq Hotel is somehow actually in the bad part of Oakland, it is probably perfectly safe for my standards.

Edited: 3:27 pm, March 27, 2013