We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Gate Bridge new policy

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bainbridge Island
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Gate Bridge new policy

Greetings,

Will be traveling over the Golden Gate Bridge the day of the new toll policy. Is it going to be a zoo or has the city prepared most people for this change?

Thanks

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,772 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

It's been in the news alot.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

A few places to check out, a recent News Article if you want to use FasTrak...

mercurynews.com/mr-roadshow/ci_22852108/gold…

Note, this is more designed for "locals"

The second one has a very good look for rental vehicles from the official Golden Gate Bridge Authority. The main issue, if you do not opt for a "FasTrak" or Plate By Pass option when you rent the car, you NEED to prepay BEFORE you go South Bound on the Golden Gate Bridge. (One thing, avoid Lane #2 unless you have a FasPass Transponder and 3 or more folks in the vehicle...)

goldengate.org/tolls/rentaltollprograms.php

And a recent thread here at TA...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k620564…

It, along with every other Toll Bridge, Toll Road or Express Lane has different rules and while it would be nice for a more "streamlined" system, it is what it is... Here are the overall California rules...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c186915/Califo…

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

Good to know about rental cars darkbeer. Thanx!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

I think that direct link from the official Golden Gate Bridge website and Rental Cars is a VERY valuable piece of info, especially the need to do it BEFORE you cross the bridge....

Once again, the link...

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

Hi, Maytime: Thanks for your question. 86% of the morning commute on the Golden Gate Bridge using FasTrak, so things should be running relatively smoothly. We do anticipate there will be some hiccups tomorrow, but we're continuing tell people to DO NOT STOP at our Toll Plaza. Drivers who don't set up a FasTrak Account or a License Plate Account, or make a One-Time Payment, will receive a Toll Invoice in the mail. Learn more about our toll payment options on our website (www.goldengate.org/tolls).

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

One correction, to the official GGB poster..

>>Drivers who don't set up a FasTrak Account or a License Plate Account, or make a One-Time Payment, will receive a Toll Invoice in the mail. <<

This is NOT true to folks who rent a vehicle. You MUST arrange a way to pay your toll in advance, the main way is to just allow your rental company to charge a daily fee and then the toll. Alas, it is also the most expensive way.

You can Pay in ADVANCE, but you need to rent the car, get the license number, and then get online to register in advance before going southbound on the Golden Gate Bridge. (Yes, a pain in the butt, but the cheapest option ).

Here is the official GGB page that talks about Rental Company policies...

I REALLY wish that the above link could find its way to the Top Questions fo the San Francisco Forum...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,093 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

Lets look at the worst case scenario. Drivers who own their cars can either get a Fastrak or get an invoice. Drivers who rent cars should be told either told by their Bay Area car rental place about this or if they don't know, I saw about 8 signs just between hwy 37 and the Bridge warning people that the toll is automatic, or it is cashless or they should call 511 for info. If drivers ignore 8 or more signs when they drive, say from Napa or Sonoma or 1-2 signs from Sausalito and I am sure there are people who may do that, then their car company will charge them $6 plus a surcharge of between 2.95 a day up to a max of 15. So. Worst case for most car rentals they will pay up to $ 21 on their vacation instead of 6.

Yes one can do a lot with 14 dollars but that is what they will have to pay. for most the 14 is a small change compared to what they are paying for their vacation

Now if people rent with the previous posters most recommended car companies Thrifty and Dollar, which by the way have the most negative posts on the LA forum and a few negative on the SF forum, well they pay $40 bucks and we have seen one case where they took advantage of a renter and tried to make him pay 40 .

Even the OP in this case asked if the first day would be a zoo, and it looks like only the GGB person answered the question. The other poster IMHO did NOT answer and tried to pointificate

Edited: 1:35 pm, March 26, 2013
Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

Oy, belomiser....now I'm really confused. We are renting with Thrifty. So it's gonna cost me $40 to cross the bridge? I read the GGB website regarding tolls for rentals, but I don't get it. I will only be crossing the bridge once, 3 days after I get to the Bay Area.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,093 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

With thrifty, you have two options. OPT OUT or OPT IN. If you opt out then you go online and pay BEFORE you cross. The Toll bridge website has this info so please refer to their FAQ

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Gate Bridge new policy

<<you go online and pay BEFORE you cross>>

You can also do it by phone or in person and there are about 5 places in Marin County near Highway 101 to do so. Again, it's all on the bridge's website.