We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden gems in SF?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hidden gems in SF?

We are making our second trip to SF this year in June, before a road trip to LA. We have one evening and 2 full days in SF. On our last visit we took a tour, visiting various places around the city and included a boat trip to Sausolito, lombard st, China town, Knob Hill, Golden Gate Park, The Presido, Haight Ashbury, and the painted ladies. We also visited Alcatraz and walked the Embaradero and Pier 39 and took a ride on the cable cars and trolley (i think)

We loved the city and we are looking forward to returning with friends who have never been before. We are staying at Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf.

Are there any interesting spots that we should try to see this time? We hope to visit the USS San Francisco Memorial on our way out of the city?

We like history, nature, architecture, quirky stuff, food anything really but like to find things off the normal tourist trail?

Any ideas please?

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

Sorry, I am sure someone will tell me to look at the 'Top Questions' whch I am doing, but it was 'off the beaten track' things that locals might suggest that i was looking for.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

The murals at Coit Tower.

Japan Town

Museum in Golden Gate Park

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,432 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

City Lights Bookstore, The Condor Club (exterior photo http://goo.gl/maps/VeBNa ), The Castro and Castro Theater ( http://goo.gl/maps/ARju0 ).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

Find the book "Stairway Walks of San Francisco" and pick one. Perhaps the Lyon Street steps but there are lots.

Cole Valley. Dinner at Zazie. You can catch the 43 Masonic bus from there into the Marina and then the 30 back to the Wharf.

Check out Andy Goldwsorthy's "The Spire" and "Woodline" in the Presidio.

9th floor observation deck at the de Young followed by peddle boating at Stow Lake and/or a Segway tour of GG Park.

sf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

I agree with Sal about Lyon St steps, I proposed to my wife there looking out over the Bay.

Walk the streets in the neighborhoods, like Valencia in the Mission around 18th St, Fort Point, the Marina on Chestnut, and breathe in the City.

Or try a walking tour, like the ones for the wonderful old Victorian houses in Noe Valley and the Mission.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

Take a look at www.sfcityguides.org and see if any of thier free walking tours appeals to you.

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

Thank you all for your help. There are some great suggestions there and I am busy checking them out. Thats just the sort of things I had hoped for!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods has a list of all of them and as mentioned in previous posts, walking through them would be a great way to see the city.

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

That is a great site Belomiser! Thanks it will keep me busy this evening looking through this and all your suggestions! We loved SF last time and did a lot of walking about but saw most of the 'typical tourist bits'. This time we would like to see some of the different areas, and these ideas seem to have given me a great start. I am keeping a diary of all that interests me and hopefuly how to get to them on public transport as we do not pik up our car until the 4th day when we start our drive down the coast to LA.

san mateo CA
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hidden gems in SF?

RamblinSal beat me to a stairway walk, I do think the Lyon St. steps are somewhat boring, I may just be upset that I could never afford a house there. Any place there are hills in San Francisco there are stairs, some so hidden away that I walked by them multiple times before I found them.

Something I always enjoyed were some of the alleys in Chinatown. Interesting to hear the mahjong tiles being slammed down or find the bakery where barbequed pork rolls are very cheap but still good.

I personally love the Maritime Museum and the Hyde St. pier. That may be more interesting to a local as most is specific to San Francisco bay.

You should get a map and look at things. You have gotten good advice.