We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on visiting Grand canyon from Las Vegas

Massignac, France
Level Contributor
21 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please on visiting Grand canyon from Las Vegas

Sorry in advance for the long posting!!!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Las Vegas for my 50th birthday in April and I am so, so excited about it. We plan to visit the Grand Canyon and would really love to see both West and South rims so I have a 2-part question.

1. We plan to leave Las Vegas on my birthday ( a Friday) by car and make a stop at the Hoover Dam then drive on to Williams where we have a hotel already booked. We don't really want to drive on a freeway but want to drive through the desert on a 2-lane road, see tumbleweed and stop for lunch at a real diner (not a tourist trap). I know it sounds cheesy but we were brought up on a diet of American western movies so it is an important part of our trip. Is there a suggested route and is there anything "must see" between the Hoover Dam and Williams? The following day we leave for GCNP and want to visit independantly. Does anyone have a suggested itinery?

2. To see the South rim, we were thinking of a helicopter tour from either LV or Boulder. There is a big difference between a flight only or a flight with landing. Does the difference in experience really justify the difference in price? we don't have a limitless budget and the choice will be between the helicopter flight with landing or just the "fly through" and also have money over for a couple of shows.

Last question (promise!) - would anyone recommend not bothering with the West rim and just do a helicopter tour at the South rim? We only have a week in Vegas and want to visit Death Valley as well. Really don't want to take the hire car across a dirt track and I dont want to do the Skywalk (though my husband would!)

Thank you so much in advance and sorry again for such a long post!

Massignac, France
Level Contributor
21 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please on visiting Grand canyon from Las Vegas

It appears that I have managed to post this in entirely the wrong forum! Sorry - I will re-post!!!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,737 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please on visiting Grand canyon from Las Vegas

No worries! (At least you're not trying to visit the Grand Canyon from San Francisco!!)

And I think there's some way to ask that your post be deleted... there may be a link under your own initial post.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please on visiting Grand canyon from Las Vegas

Glad we convinced you to stay at the rim!

4. Re: Advice please on visiting Grand canyon from Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 22, 2014