We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just spent a wonderful afternoon at the Oakland Museum of...

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,326 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Just spent a wonderful afternoon at the Oakland Museum of...

This museum is often overlooked by visitors to SF, which is a real pity because it has so much to offer, and is right across the street from the Lake Merritt BART station. As the name suggests, it is THE museum of CA, and as such, will give you a capsulized look at CA history, geography, art and culture all in one setting.

Right now they have 2 special exhibits going on until mid August. The first is "Behind the Magic: 50 years of Disneyland" which was great fun. There are original sketches and scale models of the park and rides, a display on how audioanimatronics works, and even the original Mr. Lincoln from the NY World's Fair, stripped down to show his inner robotic workings! We spent hours checking that one out. There's also an exhibit in honor of the 100th anniversary of the "06 quake and fire, where you can even ride an earthquake simulator.

The museum also has lovely gardens and a nice restaurant, although you would also be close to the resturants of Old Oakland and Jack London Square as well.

Their website is museumca.org. Check it out! Be advised it's closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just spent a wonderful afternoon at the Oakland Museum of...

Thanks macjack...was just about to ask if it was BART close and there it was in the full post.

point reyes...
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just spent a wonderful afternoon at the Oakland Museum of...

MacJack, Just read your ToGo list and it is a good one. Have done a few just in the past few weeks, The Oakland Museum, AT&T park to wait for Barry to break the record during a full moon night game (was very romantic), I live in Pt. Reyes and wander about quite a bit and hiked Mitchell Canyon last Sunday. The abundance of wildflowers are down this year though due to the drenching rains. One thing people don't know about the Chimney Rock trek in Pt. Reyes, is if you look carefully in the trees surrounding the park housing you will find owls. Usually Great Horned Owls, occasionally Barn Owls. Right now there are two little fluffy chicks which are out of the nest hopping on tree limbs.

Oh, I'm sorry I got off subject, but I was sort of on, since you mentioned the 1906 quake. You mentioned that in your ToGo list-that the Bear Valley trail at the Point Reyes Visitor Center is the epicenter. It is not. (and I apologize for correcting you publicly) At the time they thought it was due to certain circumstances and proper technology not being developed yet. The eipicenter is actually off Thornton State Beach in Pacifica. We still like to pretend we were the epicenter though. Also, I believe the earthquake simulator that you mentioned is at the Oakland Museum is borrowed from the closed/being rebuilt Academy of Sciences. Before the Loma Prieta it used to scare me. Now the simulator is more like a toy earthquake. But for those who havn't been in an earthquake, the simulator motion is a good thing to experience.

3. Re: Just spent a wonderful afternoon at the Oakland Museum of...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 13, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question