We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffric on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
568 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Traffric on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

Hi- We will be travelling from yossemite to san fransisco on a friday during april. Will be coming into SF via the bay bridge. What is the traffic like at ths point on a Friday afternoon? Is it worth avoiding rush hour? We don't know what to expect in terms of traffic and any advice would be welcomed- many thanks :)

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,261 reviews
from $99.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir...
1,582 reviews
from $117.00*
Best Seller
Big Bus San Francisco Sightseeing and...
Best Seller
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and...
2,472 reviews
from $62.00*
San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
559 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffric on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

There will be a back up at the Bay Bridge toll plaza and perhaps elsewhere but it should not be too bad. The Golden Gate bridge on the other hand will be problematic. 810 on the am dial does give regular traffic advice, you may want to listen to that. Absent an accident your route should not be a problem.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffric on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

I disagree a little with the above. Friday traffic is always worse than any other day in the commute direction, which you will be going against. However, on Fridays there is also a lot of traffic heading into the city as people plan Friday nights out.

I would try to make it into the city by 3PM or you will hit a lot of traffic heading into the city.

Just about every AM radio station does traffic reports. The all news station is KCBS at 780, traffic and weather on the "8s." You can also call 511 for real time, voice activated, traffic information.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffric on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

You'll be going against traffic so I would not be too concerned.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffric on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

If you have the option why not avoid the traffic? Yes, you'll be going against the commute but traffic in the city may be bad. Not sure what your options are but I might stay an extra day (or at least a few more hours) in Yosemite and have a stress-free drive.

5. Re: Traffric on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 13, 2014