We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Parking

Phila Pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Parking

Looking for a hotel with free parking. Does that exsist in SF? We are looking for a Nice hotel. We want to see all of the sights, and since we have a car, our options are open as to where we can stay.

All of the hotels are pricey to begin with, and the parking isn't helping. Any suggestions?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Parking

Very few hotels have free parking. See one of the top questions on the upper right side of this page.. 'Where is a budget hotel with free parking...." Is there any way you can return your rental car when you arrive?

Phila Pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Parking

We do not want to stay at budget hotel. It's just that some of the hotels had parking fees of $50.00 per night, If staying for a week, that's excessive.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Parking

Deluxe hotels don't have free parking here. Read the link anyway, because not all of the suggestions are super-budget and you might find something you like. What's your hotel budget per night? What type of hotel are you looking for? And can you dump the car for your stay?

Edited: 11:04 pm, March 08, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Parking

Paying for parking in an urban area is a fact of life. And the closer you get to the center of that urban life, the more the parking will cost. You may consider it "excessive" but it's what the market will bear.

What is your budget for a hotel? Is there any chance you can get rid of your car while you're here? If you're staying a week -- even if in the middle of a road trip -- I would think you could easily dump the car and re-rent on the way out of town.

As you have found, parking is expensive downtown so not having a car will give you much greater access to downtown hotels without the added expenses of parking.

If you require "free" parking then you are looking at a few "motel" type places downtown (Columbus Motor Inn, Royal Pacific Motor Inn) or the vast number of options along the western section of Lombard Street. Many of these are quite nice as far as accomodation goes, and are in a nice neighborhood, but you're 30 minutes by bus from downtown.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Parking

Also, consider that commute costs (gas, parking, etc.) may well come fairly close to equaling the $50/day parking costs. You might see if some of the hotels you are considering have packages that include parking.

Phila Pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Parking

I will concentrate on the hotel package idea. I have gotten packages elsewhere, in the past that included parking. Good suggestion. Thanks! Back to the drawing board.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Parking

Two more thoughts.. for the $50 hotel parking fee, you have unlimited in and outs, which you do not have at most public garages.

Secondly, if you are fussy about your hotels (and I'm assuming that means you want a deluxe hotel, since even a budget hotel can be "nice and clean"), there are very few deluxe hotels outside of the city that are convenient for commuting. The airport has some (Hyatt, Westin, etc.). There is Cavallo Point Hotel, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, but they charge $25/day for the resort fee, which includes parking. In the city, there is the Inn at the Presidio where self-parking is only $6/night.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Parking

The package idea is the way to go, to start with.

We are in the city several times a year, staying in the Union Square area, and can usually get a "parking package". The parking package is a higher rate than a room without one, but less than the room plus a separate parking charge. You have to compare.

We usually can get a parking package at the Donatello or the Chancellor. The extra rate is usually around $20. This includes unlimited ins and outs.

When you check for rates go on the hotel's own website(not a third party booking) put in your dates and then scroll down the list of room choices they give you. Parking packages are usually at the bottom.

I would consider Inn at the Presidio if you don't have to be downtown. It would be a unique experience in a historic building. There is public transportation so that you don't have to deal with driving in the city, but I don't know how long it would take to get downtown.

Sal? (can tell us).

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Parking

You don't have to pay the hotel rate, which as you say are upwards of $50. Park your car in a garage nearby your hotel for around $30 or less. There are websites that track garage prices. Here is one:

http://sanfrancisco.bestparking.com/

Phila Pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Parking

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will llook in to them. I appreciate it.